What's new

Guess which is the real spider? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've always said there is never enough spider threads on the HTF. What else is there to talk about when not discussing the latest gadgets?

Which is the real spider?

I came home tonight from work and my B. boehmei tarantula has plastered himself to the front glass (Who says spiders can't climb up glass?). Got a great look of his fangs and underside and my oh my he's getting big. Very colorful too!

So after dinner I noticed he wandered down but not into his cubby hole. He's spoiled cause I feed him a bit so he probably feels he has no need to wander so he seldom comes fully out of his cave. But while he was out, I decided to take a photo of him... Now the object is if you can tell the different from the halloween molded plastic spider and the real one?

Winner gets to solve the following sequence:

1,5,10,15,25,50,?

:D

Jay

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
The one on the left is real, the way the light reflects gives it away. :) Of course if I'm wrong, I'm a moron.

As for the sequence, does it have something to do with clock math?

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I would never own a spider. I would flip out if one day I found his cage was empty.

Damnit all these spider threads are forcing me to bug bomb my house tomorrow during work.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I've never seen a spider that color. That is really nifty. Does he ever jump? I could happily deal with one of those if it wouldn't jump as I tried to catch it when I inevitably left the aquarium unhooked.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nope, they don't jump, they only pounce laterally onto prey and their feet don't leave the ground. They're too big anyway to jump. If you've ever seen the jumping spiders all of them are fairly small. Tarantulas don't jump and the one in the picture is not from North America, they live in the scrublands of Mexico so not around here, the only Ts that live out west are particularly brown to dark brownish, whereas most of the "colorful" Ts are rainforest species (Amazon) or the Asian old world Ts.

Steve Felix, the sequence is taken from another thread on the HTF, the one that had many HTF'ers scratching their heads for a few days...me included! :)

See below:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=133340

Jay

TimDoss

Second Unit
That's the realest looking fake spider I've ever seen... all
orange and bright. The real one there on the right looks a
little sickly though, you might want to have him checked out.

Oh and screw you for bringing up that number sequence, I'm
still not completely over it. Last night I woke up in a cold
sweat, screaming some incoherent jibberish about brazilian
currency and fourth graders throwing clocks at me.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
So, uhm, do you actually hold that spider?

I admit it. The things freak me out. They also fascinate me. I see people in pet stores with these huge spiders on their arms and I can't help but stare (from a safe distance, of course).

If you hold it, will it bite?
If it bites, what happens?
Does it do anything else?

I think I could maybe get used to having a giant spider around, but only if I was comfortable enough to take it out of it's cage and play with it. You know, if I could just grab the thing and put it on my shoulder and know that it's just going to harmlessly sit there. Would be fun to terrorize friends & family.

So, tell me more about playing with them.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Oops, I've always considered Mexico part of Central America, in fact most of the websites I tend to see section it off like Mexico & Central America, after awhile it gets embedded in your head that way. Kind of explains the oddness I thought when that North American Free Trade thing was rolling around. :)

I tend not to play with the guy, he's too nervous and fidgetty. In fact he's quite a flicker if I get nearby. Apparently oblivious to the fact that I feed him, I guess. I do play with the other T that I have, a G. rosea, or a Chilean Rose, because he's more stable and doesn't seem to care where he is. I could be watching Sleepy Hollow (the T scene) and he would be crawling on my leg and stuff, but he's mostly stationary. They don't move unless they really have to, they've always been the trapper kind of hunters, let the prey come to them, rather than go out and search. They don't bite unless you do something real stupid. Heck, I've seen vidoes of people putting Ts in their mouths, doesn't seem to phase the spider (or the guy).

If you want to really handle Ts, get the arboreal kind (the kind that live in trees) they're much more suited to living and moving in the vertical plane. The last thing you want to do is drop a Tarantula or have it fall, very very very deadly (to the spider).

Jay

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
That's the realest looking fake spider I've ever seen... all
orange and bright. The real one there on the right looks a
little sickly though
He was kidding right? the orange one is the real one, the one of the right looks like something I had when I was 10.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The black one is Definitely the real one! It's true! I saw one when I was on Safari on the island of Matel. :D......or was I in Fisher Price????

and the answer to the # sequence is $1.07 (after tax) ;)

Brenton

Screenwriter
I know! The one on the left!

As for Mexico and Central America... Central America is part of North America. So is Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks