Guess The Goonies didn't hit in the top 10 :(

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle McKnight, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Rats, I was hoping to see The Goonies in the top 10 for sales, that DVDfile puts up each week. I wonder what place it ended up at.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Kyle...dude...it takes a coupla weeks for the data to be compiled and released, so mags and sites (like DVD File) can post it.
    Note that the new #1 title is "Paramount's Enemy At The Gates, which shoots to the pole position its first week out". That DVD was released on August 14th! So you see how the charts are about two weeks behind.
    "The Goonies" DVD was released August 21, so you'll know in about a week where it hit on the charts. In the meantime, chill out...it's cool! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

My bad. Thanks for the input. Shall be looking for it to be on the charts about this time next week [​IMG] I know the stores around me had trouble keeping them on the shelf.
    ------------------
    Kyle³
    ------------------
    Yahoo Messenger - digitalkyle

4. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If it isn't, it would in no doubt be in large part attributable to the fact that most places completely underestimated the demand for this disc and didn't stock as many as they could have sold. I've gone to several B&Ms looking for it and no one has it. So off to the net!
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

6. MarcD

MarcD Auditioning

Maybe it's because it hasn't been released here in Canada yet; only on Sept 18 [​IMG]
    MarcD

7. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

I've been to Best Buy twice since Goonies release, and still they have no copies in stock. [​IMG] This was one I wanted the day it came out. I was so shocked they would be out of a brand new release that was 15+ years old no less!
    WB sure dropped the ball on this one. I'll probably order from DDDVD if it doesn't get in my local B+M's soon.

8. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I didn't understand it neither. BB and Circuit City didn't get it. I found it at a Target and I got the last one. I agree, major miscalculation by someone.

9. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

Yeah I went to 3 Best Buy's and Fry's and they were all sold out. I finally went to a fourth Best Buy and found it. It's selling like hotcakes.
    ------------------

10. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

I went to BB first day and got there before the lunchtime crowd and got a disc. 2 hrs later all sold out. A new shipment came in 2 days later and was gone same day.
    I don't remember a disk selling this well since Gladiator.

11. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I was just at Best Buy yesterday and they had plenty of copies.

12. Anthony Navaja

Week Ended 8.26.01
    The Goonies was #3 in Sells.
    1. Hannibal
    2. Silence of the Lambs: W/S
    3. The Goonies
    4. Enemy at the Gates
    5. Silence of the Lambs: P/S
    6. 15 Minutes
    7. The Mexican
    8. Chocolat
    9. 3000 Miles to Graceland
    10. Pokemon 3: The Movie
    11. American Pie: UE
    12. Crouching Tiger
    13. Batman: The Movie (1966)
    ------------------
    http://www.movierecords.com

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Best Buy corporate ordered 24 copies per store, which lasted 24 minutes
    Circuit City's ordering computer is MESSED, The employees there are going nuts trying to figure out why they get piles of a crappy little title, and only _1_ Gandhi, and NO Killer Klowns
    Most other stores like Coconuts, Tower etc got under 20 copies. Biiiiiggg mistake [​IMG]
    Jeff Kleist

14. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

If Goonies doesn't end up in the top ten, it is clearly due to the fact that it is a family film released in widescreen.
    So we all better buy 20 copies each to ensure that this doesn't happen.

15. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I'd also suspect the fact that stores seem to have totally underestimated demand this title to hurt it the first week or so. I looked for Goonies when I picked up Gump at BB on Tuesday and they were still out of copies!!
    ------------------
    Crash
    "I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

16. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

This sucks.
    At least you've got placed you can look. Up here in canada we've still gotta wait two friggen weeks!
    Rest assured that I'll be picking this up the second it hits the shelf. Screw that - I'm gonna unpack it from the boxes myself. Doesn't need to waste time on a store shelf!
    Wait 'till it's released in Canada. Then we'll watch it climb the charts...
    Moe.

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

This is encouraging:
    2. Silence of the Lambs: W/S
    5. Silence of the Lambs: P/S
    Maybe the good ol' Joe is starting to realize that W/S is the way movies are ment to be seen!

18. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

It's quite all right that Goonies didn't make the top 10 list. We have the DVD. That's all that matters! [​IMG]
    I really don't invest emotions into a DVD being on the top 10 list, or movies being number one in box office cume simply because it is irrelevant to my enjoyment of the movie itself.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

19. Geoffrey_A

Geoffrey_A Second Unit

That's taking a narrow view of things. Sure the top ten has nothing to do with your enjoyment of the film, but that's not the issue being discussed. The fact is, the better movies we enjoy do, the more likely it is that we'll see more of the same. If Goonies makes it to the top of the charts, that sends a message to the studios that there is a large market for these types of dvd's. The same kind of message will be delivered when Wonka comes out widescreen and those sales burry the p/s version.
    Say the goonies sold poorly. Sure, you'd have your cool disc, but what about the next time? Are the studios going to produce special editions of this calliber for movies that have a kind of "cult" status? If sales are poor, that sends a message. That's the reason to look at the top 10, to see if quality titles are making it. The better the top selling discs are, the more likely it is that the studios will keep producing them.
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Now with Kung-Fu grip and realistic facial hair!

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer