What's new

Guess I'll get a Sony DVP-NS715P (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Well, I've been doing some research, in preparation for moving back into my own apartment, and starting from scratch in terms of home entertainment hardware. I have no TV, no VCR, no DVD player, no speakers, no receiver, no nothing. :frowning:
But like I said, I've been looking around here and there...mostly here...and have read the various comments I've been able to find so far on this Sony 715P. I saw it in Best Buy the other day and like the looks of it, so I wanted to see if it was just as good under the skin. But speaking of looks, part of what I liked about it was there was also a matching Sony VCR I could get with it, the SLV-N88. Both are silver-colored, to match the Sony TV I'll probably be getting. I like for things to look good together, and if it can all be the same brand, that's even better, to my own personal tastes.
Anyway, I've seen many positive comments about this 715P, and also some not so positive comments. One thing I see mentioned frequently is the "chroma bug". I guess the player has it, although some say they can't see it. Question regarding the chroma bug: By its nature, it is only visible in progressive mode, correct? Because I can't come close to being able to afford a TV with a progressive display, and if the chroma bug isn't visible in interlaced mode, I have no cause to worry about it.
So, in general, I've seen no glaring reasons to avoid this player. A few people have thought some other players were better in terms of video output or some other way. Some people thought this player was the best they'd ever seen.
Is this a fair assessment? There is no major reason for me to avoid this player (using it with probably a 27" interlaced flat-screen TV with "squeeze mode"), right?
And as a side question, that VCR I mentioned, is that also decent enough?

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to pick one up too just to see how it is. Looks like I'll have to order the Panasonic RP82 since no one has the decency to carry it. I figure I'd give the Sony a try for a week or two and see how it compares to the Panasonic.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I recently purchased the 715 and have had good experience with it. One reason I bought it was to get compatibility with DVD-R recorded discs. So far, it has been doing a good job. From my brief experience, I would recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks