What's new

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 4K or 4K/3D now upgrading to UHD (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is confusing. In VUDU, GotG2 now has a UHD tag. But in iTunes it only shows as HD. I don't understand how / why my digital movies are upgraded to UHD and in what service they're available.

It's not pressing since I don't have a 4K display. :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is confusing. In VUDU, GotG2 now has a UHD tag. But in iTunes it only shows as HD. I don't understand how / why my digital movies are upgraded to UHD and in what service they're available.

It's not pressing since I don't have a 4K display. :)
Disney is the only major studio that iTunes hasn't been able to get an agreement with for 4K. It's most likely because they are quibbling over iTunes refusal to charge customers a premium for 4K versions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But GotG is upgraded to UHD in Vudu. But not in iTunes. It's confusing that Apple announces UHD upgrades and they show up in vudu instead of iTunes.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
But GotG is upgraded to UHD in Vudu. But not in iTunes. It's confusing that Apple announces UHD upgrades and they show up in vudu instead of iTunes.

Guardians 2 has been UHD at Vudu since release date...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
With just HD/blu-ray redemption code?

No - what I'm saying is it was always available for sale in UHD at Vudu, but never was at iTunes. Nothing has changed in that regard since release day.

The only upgrade you should have experienced with Guardians at Vudu is if you had redeemed a code from the UHD blu-ray, but that doesn't have anything to do with Apple's announcement.

Last edited:

eddieb187

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
Thanks David. I just called the number you provided and now my VUDU copy of GOTG2 has been upgraded from HDX to UHD ;-)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks David. I just called the number you provided and now my VUDU copy of GOTG2 has been upgraded from HDX to UHD ;-)

Interesting to see people still having to call in. I saw some saying their copies had been showing up spontaneously. Glad the information helped out.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I need to call Disney about both GOTG2 and Pirates: Dead Men Tell Now Tales. I purchased the 4K versions of both and both are showing HDX in Vudu.

I redeemed GOTG2 through Disney Movie Rewards (which automatically put it in Disney Movies Anywhere) on August 29. I redeemed Dead Men Tell No Tales through Movies Anywhere and then also had to input it at Disney Movie Rewards (to get the points). Yet, Pirates is only showing HDX in Vudu. WTF?!

I'm not expecting them to show UHD/4K at iTunes, but they sure as hell ought to be UHD at Vudu.

Mark

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The change to MA instead of DMA seems to be causing issues with the ability to get these deposited in UHD.
My Pirates redeemed HDX, but I didn't do that until after the switch to MA. From reading a few other people's comments it hasn't gone
well getting the upgrade to UHD. Even those people redeeming Guardians late are now having issues with Disney upgrading. I think even Guardians which was automatically redeeming UHD for a week or so is now back to HDX

If you have success please let me know, but several folks are intentionally holding their codes until the whole MA thing settles down and
hopefully the UHD situation in resolved.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I called Disney Movies Anywhere this morning. The representative answered quickly. However, she informed me that Disney Movies Anywhere can no longer fix this issue (4K codes only showing up as HDX in Vudu). She apologized profusely. She said I would have to contact Movies Anywhere to ask them to fix the problem. She told me to expect to wait on hold for a lengthy period of time, she said Movies Anywhere is swamped.

I am now on hold with Movies Anywhere. It's been 5 minutes already.

Edit: I was on hold for 35 minutes before a Movies Anywhere rep answered. He was a bright and cheerful guy but after I explained the situation and gave him the titles of two 4K codes he explained that this is a known issue that their technicians are working on. He said he'd forward my concerns to the technical department and to give it 72 hours or so before checking my movies in Vudu again to see if they have switched to the 4K (UHD) versions.

I'm not holding my breath.

Mark

Last edited:

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Got the same from DMA support today ('since Disney Movies Anywhere is no longer in operation...'). Since I redeemed on Vudu, I've opened a support ticket there. We'll see what happens.

Not impressed with Movies Anywhere, or Sony. Spider-Man Homecoming ported across at 4k, but CE3K did not.
...nevermind it seems most Sony movies do not port in 4k. They show UHD on UV (CE3K, Fifth Element, Ghostbusters), but are not in UHD at Vudu (yet?).

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Got the same from DMA support today ('since Disney Movies Anywhere is no longer in operation...'). Since I redeemed on Vudu, I've opened a support ticket there. We'll see what happens.

Not impressed with Movies Anywhere, or Sony. Spider-Man Homecoming ported across at 4k, but CE3K did not.
...nevermind it seems most Sony movies do not port in 4k. They show UHD on UV (CE3K, Fifth Element, Ghostbusters), but are not in UHD at Vudu (yet?).

Vudu refused to help me with this same issue. I supplied them with the information they requested to prove I was entitled to a UHD version, and here was their reply:

Hello Scott,
Unfortunately, we are unable to support codes included with discs purchased from any retailers other than Walmart or Sam’s Club. We encourage you to reach out directly to the production studio of the film in question. As the original issuer of the code, they will be able to assist you further with this matter. The studio, Disney Movies Anywhere, can be reached at: 1-855-347-3722.
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

I sent the following reply on 12/19, but have not received a reply from Vudu as of yet:
I do not understand why Vudu cannot help with this issue. While I did not purchase the UHD disc from Walmart, I did redeem the digital code through my account on the Vudu site. Attempting to pass off the issue to another vendor for a problem which originated at Vudu is very poor customer service.

Since Vudu is unable to provide service for digital codes redeemed through its own site, I will look to a different vendor for any future digital purchases. Amazon, Google and Apple will be the beneficiaries of your lack of customer service.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yeah, that's definitely listed under devices that support Vudu UHD...
LG 65UF8500 is a 2015 model, and therefore is most definitely not on Vudu's list.

My Sony TV and UHD Blu-ray player are still not supported, even after Vudu added HDR10 support.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll bump this older thread forward.

For those that redeemed UHD Disney codes too early (before Guardians 2 automatically gave UHD) or too late after DMA switched to MA and UHD codes again only redeemed as HDX and wouldn't allow auto-upgrades:
Starting with Coco in March teh UHD codes automatically gave UHD, but the older redeemed items seemed stuck despite people redeeming the same codes after March were now given UHD. This may be for VUDU since I'm not sure MA plays movies UHD and if Disney codes redeem or port UHD in Itunes?

A little after Labor Day some people got emails from Disney/MA telling them their previously redeemed UHD code HD titles had finally been upgraded. Others did not get the email. I was stuck with Pirates 5 and Cars 3 at HDX.

I finally get in touch with Disney who sent me to MA who after several back and forth requests for information confirmed my codes were eligible per Disney to by UHD and bumped my titles to UHD. There was some confusion a few ago whether you must have redeemed intially at MA or if redeeming at VUDU or Itunes would still be eligible. I'm not sure if that issue has been worked out yet.
If you aren't sure where you redeemed initially your MA Transaction History should tell you. If you don't have your code sheets anymore and you redeemed the DMR points, then it will be under your My DMR/Points Earned menu

MA contact email: Movies Anywhere Support <[email protected]>
Tell them which titles should be UHD and the actual codes or they'll ask for the code to double check that it came from a UHD title.

There is also a phone number you can try if you'd prefer. it would likely be quicker than by email 1-800-723-4763

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are no Disney titles that are UHD on iTunes. Apple and Disney are in dispute because of the latter's policy of automatically upgrading HD to 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision at no cost to the consumer if the title was redeemed or bought on iTunes.

By the way, you were lucky with MA as I tried the same thing with them regarding Cars 3 and this was their reply to me.

Hey there,
Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I suggest reaching out to Disney directly as they are the ones who distributed your digital copy codes. They will be able to give your more information on why they did not redeemed as UHD. Here is their contact information:
REDEEM DIGITAL COPY CONTACT:www.redeemdigitalmovie.com/contact-us
DISC/CODE ISSUE PHONE: 800-723-4763
If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us at any time!
Sincerely,
Joseph
Movies Anywhere Customer Service

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There are no Disney titles that are UHD on iTunes. Apple and Disney are in dispute because of the latter's policy of automatically upgrading HD to 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision at no cost to the consumer if the title was redeemed or bought on iTunes.

By the way, you were lucky with MA as I tried the same thing with them regarding Cars 3 and this was their reply to me.

I got bounced back and forth between MA, Vudu and Disney for Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, as well. I finally gave up.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I thought I had read that about Itunes

I got bounced back and forth between MA, Vudu and Disney for Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2, as well. I finally gave up.

For both of you -- have you tried this within the last month? I'm fairly sure this is all very new and started in September so if you tried all of it earlier in the year it may be worth another shot.

As I understand -- so far this works only for folks who redeemed their code on Movies Anywhere initially. I know some of the Digital Only people were still working with Disney to see if there was a solution for those who redeemed directly on VUDU or Itunes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks