Gta3 performance-at least I'm not crazy....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, May 30, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

So I grabbed a framerate monitor (FRAPS) to check out how GTA3 was really doing. Turns out that at 800x600x32 I'm getting somewhere between 50 and 60 fps in the clear, dropping down to a low of about 24 in some really crowded areas. I was starting to worry about this, since my machine is far above the "recommended" spec. Compared results with Jedi Outcast though, and was able to get 70-90 fps at full detail and 1024x768x32, so I'm not completely crazy, and my Radeon 7500 doesn't suck as much as it seemed [​IMG]
    The question is then-what's happening here? Did Rockstar optimize so much for Geforce chips that anything else is left dragging behind, or is there something fundamentally wrong with the ATI cards? Is there a secret "don't suck" option in the registry somewhere?
    Reminds me of when Ultima Ascension came out...

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Don't blame Rockstar North, blame Criterion Studios - they're the guys behind the underlying game engine.
    [​IMG]

3. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

All ATI cards do not go as well as they could due to drivers.

Jedi Outcast isn't such a good comparision because it's a Quake 3 engine game which uses OpenGL while GTA3 is a Direct3D engine.

But I suspect it's more an engine and even game design issue. There's a lot going on in GTA3 with wide open areas and lots to render. I'm sure they could get it to run better though.

4. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

try comparing results of GTA3 with that of Unreal Tournament. That should be a better comparison.

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

GTA3 is buggy, expect performance to improve in the next patch. Also try switching around the audio drivers. I switched mine to DirectSound Hardware and had a big boost in FPS.

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

As BrianB points out, the Renderware engine is probably making the biggest control over speed here. Its a fine compromise, but it is an engine built to run on all systems and a variety of games, not one specifically written for PC GTA3.

So, while you might get slightly worse performance out of the game it does free you up to get a lot more done on actual content...

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Oh, and frankly GTA3 kicks Dark Forces 3 around the block in terms of looks, so taking more power is hardly surprising!

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

It's heavily reliant on streaming too - make sure your HD speed is upto scratch, defragged etc.

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I actually saw that suggestion somewhere-to defrag after installing the game... Anything else that might improve HD speed?

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

My drives are in bad shape in terms of getting the maximum speed. I was wondering about the sound too. Will try to change the driver used.

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It works great on my AMD Athlon 2000+ with GeForce3 Ti200 video [​IMG]