What's new

Gta3 performance-at least I'm not crazy.... (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
So I grabbed a framerate monitor (FRAPS) to check out how GTA3 was really doing. Turns out that at 800x600x32 I'm getting somewhere between 50 and 60 fps in the clear, dropping down to a low of about 24 in some really crowded areas. I was starting to worry about this, since my machine is far above the "recommended" spec. Compared results with Jedi Outcast though, and was able to get 70-90 fps at full detail and 1024x768x32, so I'm not completely crazy, and my Radeon 7500 doesn't suck as much as it seemed :)
The question is then-what's happening here? Did Rockstar optimize so much for Geforce chips that anything else is left dragging behind, or is there something fundamentally wrong with the ATI cards? Is there a secret "don't suck" option in the registry somewhere?
Reminds me of when Ultima Ascension came out...

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Don't blame Rockstar North, blame Criterion Studios - they're the guys behind the underlying game engine.
;)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
All ATI cards do not go as well as they could due to drivers.

Jedi Outcast isn't such a good comparision because it's a Quake 3 engine game which uses OpenGL while GTA3 is a Direct3D engine.

But I suspect it's more an engine and even game design issue. There's a lot going on in GTA3 with wide open areas and lots to render. I'm sure they could get it to run better though.

Nick L

Second Unit
try comparing results of GTA3 with that of Unreal Tournament. That should be a better comparison.

Kami

Screenwriter
GTA3 is buggy, expect performance to improve in the next patch. Also try switching around the audio drivers. I switched mine to DirectSound Hardware and had a big boost in FPS.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
As BrianB points out, the Renderware engine is probably making the biggest control over speed here. Its a fine compromise, but it is an engine built to run on all systems and a variety of games, not one specifically written for PC GTA3.

So, while you might get slightly worse performance out of the game it does free you up to get a lot more done on actual content...

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Oh, and frankly GTA3 kicks Dark Forces 3 around the block in terms of looks, so taking more power is hardly surprising!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's heavily reliant on streaming too - make sure your HD speed is upto scratch, defragged etc.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I actually saw that suggestion somewhere-to defrag after installing the game... Anything else that might improve HD speed?

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
My drives are in bad shape in terms of getting the maximum speed. I was wondering about the sound too. Will try to change the driver used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurtlePen
Recent bookmarks