GTA3 (PC) sound bug - EAX 3.0 (Anyone else notice this)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone playing GTA3 on the PC using EAX 3.0 sound has had a problem with extreme feedback during the game.

It's like all of the sudden, there's this AWFUL bass feedback, and I can't hear anything. I've switched to other audio settings and the problem goes away.

Please, don't make this an EAX sucks thread. I rather enjoyed the "environmental modelling" in this game.

Of course, I'll be checking the GTA3 website and Creative Lab's sites, but I'm just wondering if I'm alone in this.

GTA3 rocks, BTW!

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

EAX sucks. [​IMG]
    Is it a driver issue? You have the latest Audigy drivers. I hope. I'm assuming you have an audigy...
    I have an nForce motherboard, so I just chose "DirectSound3D Hardware". I don't much care for the EAX features, as I really like the default ambient sounds anyhow.
    Is there an option to try EAX 2.0?

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I've got a Gateway-provided OEM version of the Soundblaster Audigy. I do have the latest drivers installed. I religiously keep my machine's device drivers up to date.

Yes, there is an option to try EAX (no 1.0 or 2.0, it's just called EAX), and this works fine. In fact, EAX 3.0 works most of the time, too. It's just a little odd.

This game is so much fun, I'd play it if the sound came out of a tin can. (Well, that MIGHT take away some of the enjoyment, I guess.)

There's nothing on rockstar games' website about this.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Perhaps the PCI bus had a hiccup, and the Audigy will loop the same sound effect over and over when it can't pull data from the bus.
    Guess: If you have a VIA chipset-based motherboard, you might want to try the VIA latency patch that's been kicking around the net. OR find the PCI latency setting in the BIOS, and reduce it to zero (usually defaults to 32). Probably won't help, but worth a try.
    I disavow all responsibility for screwing up your computer. [​IMG]