GTA3 PC - Multiplayer!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adnan Sheikh, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

Shacknews said that Voodoo Extreme said that PC Gamer said that the PC version of GTA3 would have 16 player multiplayer!
    A link...
    http://www.voodooextreme.com/comments.taf?postID=26790
    and a quote...

2. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I would love it if they brought this feature to the X-Box version of the game.

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

uh oh... I thought I saw this coming [​IMG]
    Well... out with the RivaTNT, in with the GeForce3 Ti200 [​IMG]

4. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

How exactly is it going to work? Is it just going to be up to 16 people playing the game as the single player does but being able to interact with each other? I don't see how GTA3 lends itself to multiplayer. Can anyone explain?

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Yeah, even imagine all the players are members of certain gangs, and could even protect their turf. I just hope they don't just make this a deathmatch multiplayer.

Wouldn't it be great to get vigilante missions and have to take out another player?

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, I'm really glad I finally bought a PS2 yesterday with GTA3...

:b

8. Dave Bennett

For the record, yes I've played the game(I've done all but a few of the phone missions on the PS2 version). I guess I see how it will work but I dunno the multiplayer aspect doesn't really appeal to me. It's a cool idea, but it just doesn't do it for me. Then again, the only multiplayer games I ever play are sports games, racing games, and FPS.

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

"I would love it if they brought this feature to the X-Box version of the game."

Larry, unfortunately, no word has come regarding an Xbox version of this game for over a year. I have a feeling the people at Rockstar decided to bail on the Xbox version completely.

10. Adnan Sheikh

Well, the second game did have multiplayer. Never tried it myself, but I heard it was quite fun. From what I understand, there was more than just deathmatch, even though people did seem to enjoy that.

I'm also quite excited about the graphical overhaul the game seems to be getting. Might just be minor, but that's still pretty cool.

11. BrianB

BrianB Producer

12. Dave Bennett

After thinking about it for a while, I guess it would be kinda fun, but there would need to be a good variety of game modes(races, rampages, as well as deathmatch). Either way, the single player game rocks so multiplayer is just icing. I'm happy with my PS2 version though [​IMG]

13. Iain Lambert

I'm sure Brian (or someone else) can correct me, but my interpretation of the manual on the first one (though I never actually tried it) was that there is no traffic around, due to the amount of bandwidth it would take to record it all. Did that happen for the second as well? The idea of top-down multiplayer point-to-point races through the city traffic, stealing new cars to improve your speed and diving down alleys to avoid congestion struck me as the coolest gaming idea ever.

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There was multiplayer traffic in both games, just reduced slightly - instead of one player's screen to dot cars around, there was now upto four, so that impacted the number of potential cars. If all players were in the same area, it'd be busier.

Four player 'cannonball' races were fun - get to checkpoints whatever way you can, trying to stop the other players in the process.

Multiplayer in GTA2 especially had a lot of potential, but as mentioned, we had speed problems - basically the low level way the original GTA games were designed wasn't compatible with a fast network system.

The third one isn't hampered by that frame by frame system, so if indeed it has multiplayer (and let's be honest, all we've got is secondhand reports so far), it shouldn't be as poo.

15. Adnan Sheikh

16. Iain Lambert

Thanks Brian for the info- I guess next time the LAN gets set up thats going to have to be tried...

17. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

I would think that if the pc version is in the works, it really wouldnt be that much more difficult to port that version to Xbox. I mean, isnt Xbox basically a PC anyway. Same architecture and almost same programming language. Doesnt Xbox use some form of DirectX?

If the PX version is indeed under development..it would be a no brainer to release an xbox version? or am I totally wrong in this thought process?

18. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

woohoo..200 posts!!

(sorry, needed to do that)

19. BrianB

BrianB Producer

20. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Just read this article on Take-Two...no mention of GTA3 on XBox but they have confirmed State of Emergency for XBox. Though they are doing GTA3 for the GBA...

In its recent Q1 financial report, Take-Two Interactive revealed that State of Emergency is currently in development for the Xbox. In addition, the company revealed that a version of Grand Theft Auto III for the Game Boy Advance is being developed, and it reaffirmed its plans to release new games in both the Grand Theft Auto series and the Midnight Club series. Unfortunately, no specific details on any of the games were given, but Take-Two did say that it hopes to ship all these games in autumn 2002 and winter 2003.

"We are very pleased with the significant market share gains our publishing labels experienced during the first quarter of fiscal 2002," said Kelly Sumner, CEO of Take-Two Interactive. "We have clearly established Rockstar Games as a leading industry brand focused on delivering innovative gameplay to consumers. We look forward to extending our existing brands and the development of new brands in the balance of 2002 and continuing into 2003."

An Xbox version of Grand Theft Auto III was not mentioned in the report.