GSM Cell Phone Question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Mar 24, 2005.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Howdy. I'm a (now) former SunCom user and a new Cingular user. I received a letter informing me that despite the fact I have a GSM phone already, I've got to go to a Cingular store and swap it out for another phone. This is fine, as I don't really like my current phone

My options, as far as I know, are the Motorola V180, the Motorola V220, and the Sony Ericsson T237.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these phones?

Two are flip phones, one has a camera, but none of that matters to me. I have a very slight preference for flip phones, but not enough of one to really make a difference. The camera is irrelevent to my decision, but I will get that phone if it's a better phone in general.

I'm sure I could drop a little cash and get other phones that are compatible with Cingular. Any of the other phones worth extra cash above the phones I've mentioned?

Also, info on the T237 would be particularly useful as my fiancee doesn't like flip phones, but I've read somewhere that the T237 feels a little cheap. Any comments?

2. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

The Motorola V551 is a really good one

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Of the three choices you listed, I would pick the V180. It has received excellent reviews and the battery life is outstanding.

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I would recommend visiting sites such as phone scoop , gsm arena , or howard forums as there are a lot of feedback from users and you'll get the nitty-gritty of the phone you may want to use. I personally use Nokias as they seem to be the most stable and most bang for the buck phones.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I have the V220. It has worked pretty well. Sound quality is pretty good. With a good signal the sound quality is similar to a land line. Battery life has been pretty decent so far. I can go several days before a recharge is required; however, the caveat is that I am not a heavy cell phone user. Depending on the level of use, battery life could be shorter than what I am used to.

This phone suffers from problems that affect all cell phones like blind spots, reduced or no reception in certain buildings, etc. I have, generally, been happy with the phone. I am not so impressed with my service provider. Their network is not extensive enough, so reception problems can occur even within well serviced areas. Outside of urbanized areas the service is even worse.

I wonder why you have to change the phone? I thought GSM phones are supposed to work on any GSM network.

6. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty certain it's because of Cingular's policy not to unlock phones. His current GSM phone is likely locked to the SunCom service. It's easier for Cingular to provide a new phone to new customers which they fully support.

Try searching howardforums.com too for additional info. I believe someone there had asked a similar question.

-Pedro

7. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

For those of you who may work at chemical sites or the like; be aware that most manufacturing plants now have a restriction against any kind of camera - including those in cell phones. This is a security issue, and it is being applied across the board. Almost all of them will ask you to show them your phone. If it has a camera, they will almost certainly request you leave it with them, or leave it in your vehicle, so you do not take it onto company property.

So you may want to think twice about a phone with a camera, if that applies to you.