What's new

Grumpy Old Men in Widescreen .... Will We Ever See It? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Can't understand why this fine 1993 film was released ONLY in FF. ????
I'm wanting the WS version of this one. How about you guys??
Link Removed

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Grumpy Old Men was released in fullscreen because it was one of the first titles released by WB.

The only way I think WB can do widescreen releases of these early P&S titles is to make a wave of "now in widescreen" versions without extras. I don't think an SE of Grumpy Old Men will happen, nor many of the others (with exceptions to maybe Arthur, Chariots of Fire, and the Vacation movies).

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Fortunately I have the widescreen ld, but I'd replace it with a dvd if it ever came out widescreen.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB's reps were being sarcastic in that answer.

Since Wonkagate, WB has released only Follow That Bird in non-OAR (unmatted and an old TV transfer). All of their non-OAR titles since then have a widescreen counterpart.

I think the LBX European Vacation is a good indicator that WB isn't interested in non-OAR only titles anymore...Unlike a few other companies!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
If Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men were in anamorphic OAR they'd be in my collection. In their current state they remain on the store shelf.

DarrinH

Second Unit
We should say "an anamorphic picture in the original aspect ratio" just as Justin stated.

Wake up Warner Bros! This should be the standard!
Pan and Scams are variations of the standard not the other way around!
By the way I own neither and will never own a pan and scam title. Unless it was shot in open matte originally I may make an exception.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>If Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men were in anamorphic OAR they'd be in my collection. In their current state they remain on the store shelf.
>

I just wish that they would have had the forsight to have the two main stars do a Laserdisc commentary, for us future DVD owners to benefit from. Now, sadly, it's way to late...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wake up Warner Bros! This should be the standard!
Pan and Scams are variations of the standard not the other way around!
By the way I own neither and will never own a pan and scam title. Unless it was shot in open matte originally I may make an exception.
Again, this disc was created LONG before WB started putting out watchable discs. The DVD is indeed open matte, but it's not like it was a recent decision to make it P&S only.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I wish Warner would get off their butts and start to revisit some of the older titles that were not in OAR. They would be getting more of my money on this titles and many others. It's about time already.

J

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
WB's reps were being sarcastic in that answer.
Actually, I remember that chat quite well and they were not being sarcastic in that answer. I remember wishing that they were, but it was a really frustrating chat, and unfortunately, they were serious with that remark.

Since then, they've seemed to do better in releasing unreleased "flat comedies" in widescreen, but there's still a ton (My Blue Heaven, Funny Farm, Spies Like Us, Vacation, Vegas Vacation, Christmas Vacation, Driving Miss Daisy, etc., etc.) they have to go back and fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks