grumbling noises coming from year-old subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Lanny_B, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I bought an infinity subwoofer October 2002, and today I noticed that now it makes a bad, grumbling, rattly noise. Is it blown out or something? I called CC and my warentee through them only covered my receiver, not my speakers for some reason. So am I screwed? I think this sub was about $150 to $200.

P.S. If I am screwed, any quick suggestions on a good replacement? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Please help. Anyone?

3. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

Does it make the noise only when playing...or even when it doesn't have any sound going through it? [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

It only makes noise when something's going to it. I just tested it with FOTR:EE, and Sauron's Explosion in the beginning didn't sound crackly, but it didn't sound very strong either. But during the other scenes, when there's just talking and stuff, it gets just makes rumbling, crackling noises.

I guess it seems broken and maybe I'm just in denial because I feel like I just got it and it was really hard to save up for all this stuff. I don't know anything about picking out a good subwoofer to replace it for a good price.

5. Johnny Ayala

Sounds like it is blown. Sorry to hear that. What is your budget for a new sub? There are lots of subs that are out there that won't break your bank account. Let me know, maybe I can help. Johnny........[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Well, since I wasn't planning on spending anything for it, it was nothing. But, I suppose I would spend up to... $300 on one I guess.

I mean, I would like some really nice bass levels if I can afford it.

7. Johnny Ayala

Try the Velodyne VX-10 that sells for 130.00 or the Dayton that sells for around the same. These are very good subs for a very good price. [​IMG]

8. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Thanks. Those are better than some JBL's or other big brands in the same price range (maybe those are big brands, I don't know subs)?

You can see I'm pretty uninformed when it comes to subwoofer brands. Would many local stores sell those, or would I most likely only find them online?

9. Johnny Ayala

Depending on where you are, they should be pretty easy to find. Where are you located?

10. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

Orem, Utah, which is about an hour from Salt Lake City. It's a fairly big city and has Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics, Sears, RCWilley, CompUSA, etc. There's a couple Best Buys in Salt Lake.

11. Johnny Ayala

I'd say go to Best Buy first, then CC. You'll find lots of good subs there, but Ultimate Electronics will be the place for the Velodyne. Depending on what your demand on the sub will be.......you might even get away with getting a KLH. Alot of people would tend to disagree I'm sure, but you have to remember the price range. Good Luck.......Keep me posted. [​IMG][​IMG]