1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Grrrr! Where is the distortion coming from? Help!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BrettisMckinney, May 9, 2005.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

I have finally had enough..its driving me wild. Firstly, here is my equipment:

Yamaha RX496 reciever
    Toshiba SD2960 dvd player
    Dali Concept Centre speaker
    Paradigm Monitor speakers

Im using a Crest Xstream optical cable from DVD to amp, and good quality speaker cable, all new.

Now here is my issue. I have distortion on my centre channel. When someone tends to speak up a bit it distorts. I have had this for a while and use to think it was just the dvd. I was using a crap SOny centre that did this. THen i bought the Dali speaker, and it still does it.

Has anyone an idea what it could be? I have dynamic range to max,good cable. Its so fustrating, i cant help notice it all the time now!

WOuld appreciate your ideas!

2. John S

John S Producer

Temporarily move one of your mains to your center channel, if it is still like that, it is not the center speaker.

This is somewhat common with mid fi level center channel specific speakers in general in my experiences. It would almost have to be the AVR if it's not the speaker.

3. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

How are you able to power 3 channel with a 2 channel Yamaha?

4. John S

John S Producer

Ok, I'll bite. I never searched on that Yamaha model number. But I just did so. It looks like a stereo reciever. So just as the post above mine, I am way confused about your setup now.

You sure about that model number???

5. BrettisMckinney

Yeah its a RX-V496, definatley 5.1 reciever. I might try another speaker, but as i said, going from a $100 to $400 speaker already should have made a difference. I'll give it a try tho. But if its the reciever, then what can i do about that?

6. John S

John S Producer

Ahhh did you know...

The RX496 and RX-V496 are two different Yamaha products. [​IMG]

If it is the AVR, probably have to replace it.
    On many AVR's you can tell it you have no center speaker and it will create the channel in the 2 fronts/mains.

Maybe give that a shot.

7. BrettisMckinney

Lol i do now! [​IMG] Yeah not sure if i have that option, i know it has small/large but i'll have a look. I know my AVR is like 4 or 5 years old but i was hoping to get a projector first..bugger!

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Going out on a limb here...is the center channel volume significantly higher than the other channels in the setup menu?

9. BrettisMckinney

Nah, its set to 0. I'm thinking it has to be something thats blown in the amp, maybe the voice coil or something. Tried different speakers, different cable. grrrrrrr

10. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like either a bad RCA connection or bad Speaker connection on the back of the AVR. I guess it time for a new unit. Try going for the RX-V2500, its awesome.

I had almost the same problem before and after I re-connect the RCA cable and twisted into place at the back of the AVR to make sure a tight fit and then the noise & distortion is gone.