What's new

Grrrr! Where is the distortion coming from? Help!! (1 Viewer)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
I have finally had enough..its driving me wild. Firstly, here is my equipment:

Yamaha RX496 reciever
Toshiba SD2960 dvd player
Dali Concept Centre speaker
Paradigm Monitor speakers

Im using a Crest Xstream optical cable from DVD to amp, and good quality speaker cable, all new.

Now here is my issue. I have distortion on my centre channel. When someone tends to speak up a bit it distorts. I have had this for a while and use to think it was just the dvd. I was using a crap SOny centre that did this. THen i bought the Dali speaker, and it still does it.

Has anyone an idea what it could be? I have dynamic range to max,good cable. Its so fustrating, i cant help notice it all the time now!

WOuld appreciate your ideas!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Temporarily move one of your mains to your center channel, if it is still like that, it is not the center speaker.

This is somewhat common with mid fi level center channel specific speakers in general in my experiences. It would almost have to be the AVR if it's not the speaker.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'll bite. I never searched on that Yamaha model number. But I just did so. It looks like a stereo reciever. So just as the post above mine, I am way confused about your setup now.

You sure about that model number???

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Yeah its a RX-V496, definatley 5.1 reciever. I might try another speaker, but as i said, going from a $100 to $400 speaker already should have made a difference. I'll give it a try tho. But if its the reciever, then what can i do about that?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh did you know...

The RX496 and RX-V496 are two different Yamaha products. :)

If it is the AVR, probably have to replace it.
On many AVR's you can tell it you have no center speaker and it will create the channel in the 2 fronts/mains.

Maybe give that a shot.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Lol i do now! :) Yeah not sure if i have that option, i know it has small/large but i'll have a look. I know my AVR is like 4 or 5 years old but i was hoping to get a projector first..bugger!

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Going out on a limb here...is the center channel volume significantly higher than the other channels in the setup menu?

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Nah, its set to 0. I'm thinking it has to be something thats blown in the amp, maybe the voice coil or something. Tried different speakers, different cable. grrrrrrr

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like either a bad RCA connection or bad Speaker connection on the back of the AVR. I guess it time for a new unit. Try going for the RX-V2500, its awesome.

I had almost the same problem before and after I re-connect the RCA cable and twisted into place at the back of the AVR to make sure a tight fit and then the noise & distortion is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks