Grrrr.... I hate fans.... and...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clay Autery, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm seriously NOT digging my Crown CE-1000... Don't get me wrong, it has plenty of power and works well, but...
    It simply has a couple of "features" I can't deal with...
    #1 is that friggin' cooling fan in the back. That has GOT to be THE loudest 120mm fan I have ever heard in my life... and I have done a LOT of cooling design on PCs... At least it is temp triggered, so it doesn't sound like a jet taking off ALL the time...
    This amp must dissipate a lot of heat at idle, because the fan will periodically go to high speed with absolutely NO signal reaching the amp.
    #2 is that this amp emits an audible hum directly from the chassis... NOT through the sub... the sig path is absolutely null when no signal is present regardless of volume... and it is not the fan... when the fan isn't running at high speed you can here what I can only describe as "tranformer hum". ALMOST a buzz... In any event... it's very annoying....
    I so want these two things to disappear, that I seriously considered buying a new Crown K-1 from Music Man the other night... and I definitely don't have a spare $1,049.00 lying around...
    I'm going to go pull it apart tonight I think and see if I can pinpoint the hum/buzz, and examine the fan installation to see if there is any way (isolation, reduction of turbulence, etc) that I can lessen the fan noise... And of course, I'll get the fan specs for flow rate, current, etc. and look around for a better/more efficient, quieter unit...
    Anyway... I NEVER thought something like a little background noise would ever bother me, but I have really become a stickler for ambient noise reduction in my evolving home theater.
    A little hint to the next guy/gal in line... If YOU think you even MIGHT be annoyed by fan noise, do NOT buy this amp for a home theater UNLESS it will isolated/located in another room... [​IMG]

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    1) That's why a lot of people put their fan cooled pro amps in another room (or far away from the listening position).

2) It probably is transformer hum (not securely fastened to chassis). Was this a B-stock unit? The significant transformer hum and fan noise during idle would be a concern. Go back to where you purchased it and see if the other CE-1000s make as much noise...

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

my projector's fan can sometimes be annoying. not during loud movies like TPM or LOTR but dialogue movies like Shawshank redemption. i ignore it and usually I dont notice it all the time, but when its late and I want a more romantic setting and keep the volume down, it bugs to me. how come Im the only one that notices to noise???

as far as the crown, do you have the amp on a rack? is there a suitable more secluded area you could put it?
    good luck replacing fan

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear about the noise Clay...

I guess it's louder than the Dish 6000 fan noise that I sold you. I was always a little annoyed with the fan on the 6000, but it sounds like the Crown is much louder. Hope you figure out a solution.

5. Clay Autery

Greg_R - Yep, but remote location is not an option for me right now... [​IMG] Not a B-unit that I am aware of... I bought it used off eBay though (seller had a great rating and the price was right).
    Geno - The amp is on the bottom shelf of my Flexi-Rack...
    I'm SURE that it is transformer hum now... I'm going to email Crown about both probs... I THINK the fan may be loose on its mount as well... I can actually fix BOTH problems myself, but I don't want to mess with it...
    Greg - Yup, the amp fan is wayyyy louder than the Dish 6000 fan... The lineup is this from softest to loudest: 1)amp hum, 2)Dish 6000 fan, and 3)amp fan...
    BTW, check my thread on the Dish 6000 fan fix I put in the tweaks section... I worked on it last night and COMPLETELY eliminated the fan noise without slowing/changing the fan... You can't hear ANYTHING form the receiver now from the listening position. [​IMG] (Which makes the transformer hum very audible from the lsitening position now... [​IMG])
    But not to worry... I'm selling the amp tonight... I just bought an Adcom GFA-555 to replace it... It doesn't have a fan. It only has RCA inputs, so a new cable for BFD to amp is in order (at least until I build some balanced line driver modules and install XLRs in the back panel). [​IMG]

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

How to avoid fan noise:
    Don't buy components with fans. Problem solved. [​IMG]
    As for transformer hum, you could try a cheater plug on the AC cord for the amp. Or try a balanced power AC unit. AC "filters" like Monster or Panamax *may* work too. But balanced AC will definately work.

7. Clay Autery

Cute Kevin... :p) I'd never had a component with a fan before... at least one that made noise... Then I got the Dish 6000 and Crown CE-1000 put in the system on the same day.... Never realized that it would bother me that much...
    I suspect that Greg_R is probably right, that the hum is from the xformer not being rigidly mounted or similar... If it was ground hum as you suggest, I'd hear it in the signal path most likely...
    Cheater plugs are a BIG "no-no" in my book, and I'm not going to waste money on one of those Monster/Panamax contraptions... My grounds are good... [​IMG]
    The fast path... which is what I took , was to buy a fanless amp... [​IMG]