What's new

Grover Crisp checks out A Matter of Life & Death digital resoration, Blu-ray in the works? (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hope what I've just heard is wrong.

Someone at the PnP Appreciation Society (who is in regular touch with Thelma Scoonmaker, and has always been kept abreast of the previous restoration of TRS and Blimp) says it is NOT a new restoration, but a new scan "...of the same tired old negatives (or inter-negs)...made for the DVD of AMOLAD & AoC".

Gutted.

I hope he's wrong, but he's usually a 100% reliable source.

Can RAH check with Mr Crisp?

My only hope is that Sony decided to go ahead of this anyway, without waiting for Scorsese's Film Foundation, and that Thelma simply hasn't heard about it for that reason.

But I suspect that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Whether this is a new scan of the OCNs, or the IP produced a decade or so ago, the element is anything but tired. I viewed it with Mr. Cardiff, and he was thrilled, as was I. My only earlier experience with the film was my 16mm UK dye transfer print, which was gorgeous.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I've seen it on TV/DVD so many times.

But back in about '92 I saw it at NFT1 (where this new premiere is showing) and it was stunning.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I ran through the posts rather quickly, but noticed that nobody mentioned the existing German blu-ray of the film released over a year ago and titled Irrtum im Jenseits. It was released by ITV Studios, is still available from Amazon Germany and is really quite a lovely transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks