What's new

!!!! GROUP PURCHASE SURVEY: What would our members like to see offered? !!!! (1 Viewer)

Bill-
"What people have found is that they buy on a basis of actual equipment, service and good information. To get that one needs dedicated retailers and/or HIGH-SERVICE websites.
These are few and far between as we all know. Rather than knocking the last 10 bucks off and concentrating sales to some company that is really only offering PRICE (after all, we don't know anything else about this), we will not only be emotionally de-motivating GOOD sellers but also skimming off a lot of necessary business. Anyone who is at ALL familiar with this field knows that the economics have been VERY bad the last year or two (and now DISASTROUS after 11 Sept) for dedicated retailers and other sellers."
I will only add that you contradict yourself in your statements. If economics are bad- then I'm sure people are going to spend their money wisely- saving money when they can. No one likes to see a bad economy- but its also is a chance for people to take advantage of some really good deals out there. If there are very few GOOD retailers out there...then a HTF group buy isn't going to impact those dealers as badly as you imply. I also see alot more than 10 dollars savings on a group purchase. If its not more than that, its certainly not worth my time.
I personally have never had much success with B&M audio stores...I normally know more about the product then the salesman..and he usually trys to steer towards another product that has a beefier bottom line, and of course..beefier commision for him.
Now..back on topic..I'd love to see a group buy on higher end power conditioners ( NOT Monster Power junk), Sony DVD players (ES models) and if possible FPTV or RPTV's.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I really don't think ANYONE is really paying too much for equipment these days. It's really as simple as that. Think about it.
I thought about it; and in doing so, I saved $1,800 US by purchasing online from an authorized NHT dealer (saved exactly $900 off MSRP at jandr.com), and direct from the manufacturer, HK (saved another $900 that I could not get from a B&M -- can you explain that?). That's not pocket change to me. I think that this is the right place to "work together."
Anyway, another vote for amps, even though I've already voted, ha ha. I'm living in Chicago. We vote early and often!
laugh.gif

------------------
Best, Sam

Jason_AV

Grip
Kieran,
I'll see about the settop boxes.
And as I'd mentioned before, the group buys that will be offered will be great deals, some on brand new items, alot on closeouts, and some on items that aren't even out yet....
Though I can say that NO group buy will be on product that is restricted, or un-allowed via mail-order/internet sales in general. And unfortunately alot of the higher end products on the market are not allowed in this manner.
Keep the ideas coming, so far I've seen some good suggestions.

AllenD

Second Unit
Bill,
You Wrote "There is much too much emphasis on JUST price on this forum. That's rather paradoxical and ironic as this forum is supposedly based on service and information - the very things that price-chasing reduces."
I see that this is from your first post. I'll assume that you don't know Ron's reputation. When he says "We are putting together a Group Purchase program with a reputable internet dealer who is interested in offering great deals on audio and video equipment based on purchase as a group.," then I, and probably 99.9% of HTF's forum members, trust his judgement.
With my experience with group buys on other forums, "price chasing" does not mean a lack of service and information, as long as you're dealing with a "reputable...dealer." I know for a fact I can call, I prefer email, my dealer and receive a response either that same day or no later than the next. It is possible to save hundreds of dollars and still receive top notch service. Jason and his company is one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with.
[Edited last by AllenD on October 12, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Group Purchases are not for everybody.
The original GP organizer, the fellow to whom Ron referenced, in his first post on this thread, used to state it best in my oppinion... His take on it was basically this: I've been in this hobby for X years now, and I feel that through my research, forums like this, and my experience, I know as much, if not more than I need to know about the products for which I am shopping. I do not need to pay a dealer for his expertise, and the dealer does not need to waste his time on me, because I already know what I want. That does not mean that there are not still plenty of people out there who benefit greatly from the knowledge and expertise of a Brick&Mortar dealer.
I mean, come on, why should I pay extra to a dealer when I spend most of the time he and I are together TEACHING HIM about the product? (Or worse, grinding my teeth as I grin and bear it listening to his/her false or incorrect information?)
Again, GP's are not for everybody. They are for knowledgeable enthusiasts who KNOW what they want, and want to get the best price for it. If you need/want dealer assistance then go pay for it! :)
(edit)
I'd just like to add that I know who the dealer is, and none of you have ANYTHING to worry about. He is one of the best, most well known HT/CE online dealers around. They have excellent customer service and great delivery methods and timing, not to mention pretty decent prices.
(/edit)
------------------
-Kieran
My HT Page
[Edited last by Kieran Coghlan on October 12, 2001 at 12:38 PM]

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Looking to upgrade my receiver this Christmas. Any selection of mid-level to hi-fi receivers would be welcomed.
Chris

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question....
If say, a Panasonic RP-56 DVD player is offered for group sale in december and I cannot afford to buy it until the following march, Am I up the creek?
Will there be a time limit on the products, because while I might be intrested in product X, I may not be able to afford it at that time...
Also, will this be a long-term ongoing thing?

Chip E

Screenwriter
I want a Sony SCD-555ES multi channel SACD player. (keith, that's three now!)
- Chip
------------------

Jason_AV

Grip
The buys will be short term, most likely 5 day deals. If you don't get in at the time, the price will disappear, as inventory levels, and deals don't stay constant for any amount of time at all! (Though at the time, I will always do what I can to make as good a deal as I can)
I have a question for all of you, so far, I've seen preamps/processors mentioned a few times. My question, how many would be interested in a VERY good deal on an Aragon Soundstage preamp? 5.1 dolby digital/dts, multichannel input, true analog bypass, learning remote, phenomenal sound quality.
I'm asking this for a reason, I'd like to see a quantity of responses :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested in both 7.1 audio and 16x9 HDTV in the next 12 months. I don't have specific brands and models in mind, and would defer to the expertise of others on these items.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Toshiba 50H81 and a Panasonic RP-91....thats all.
WAIT!!! SVS Subwoofer.....ok now thats all.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Jason:
I see that most of your deals will be closeouts ... as I know phenomenal deals can be had buying them from manufacturers. I have a friend that deals with closeouts (not A/V), and he makes alot of money doing this through his retail store. Not to mention that it's recession proof :)
I think if you have items that are insanely priced, and you can stand behind them, people will just buy on impulse.
Good deals on speakers always interest me BTW.
------------------
RIGHT ... CHEERS!
The Hole

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
The Aragon Soundstage sounds like a really sweet unit. Unless your deal is truly mindblowing, it's a bit out of my ballpark. I read somewhere that the msrp is $4000.
Right now, I'm currently shopping around for speakers. Specifically, a good couple of mains (and matching center). But of course just about every component in my system could use an upgrade.
..oh and yeah, I did vote earlier in the thread also.
Greg

Jason_AV

Grip
Aurel, Ayep, recession proof is a fact :)
Though what I have in mind will be a mix of things, which is a win-win situation for everyone
wink.gif

No interest in the Aragon piece anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks