What's new

Grounding Satellite cabling (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I have been experiencing trouble with my Dish DVR 942 and the tech support people recommend that I ensure that my wiring is grounded (the coax between the dish and DVR unit). I know I can use grounding blocks and hook into my house ground but this will be semi-painfull. Do surge protectors ground the coax shield? If not, is there an alternative method for grounding the shield (stick grounding block output into ground plug of a wall outlet, etc.)?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've had 3 different satellite systems over the last 10 years. None have ever been grounded and none have ever had a problem because of it. The 1 year I was a Dish customer, I did have a lot of problems with their DVR but it was because of their poor software.

-Robert

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
The switch or splitter on the outside of your house should have a ground wire. If it doesn't, either insall a ground spike and run the ground cable to that or you can ground it to an outdoor faucet with a strap. Also, you can check your house wiring with an inexpensive ground tester from Radio Shack. If it's not grounded properly, call an electrician.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Robert, I agree with you. My DirecTV DVR had zero problems for 3+ years but my Dish has had problems since their latest SW upgrade. This is the final step in 'proving' to them that their DVR has a problem.

John, I understand the 'real' way to ground the cable. However, it will be a pain to run a ground wire to my pipes... I only want to do this if it's a real problem. I tested a new surge protector to ensure that the coax shield is connected to the ground of the power wire (i.e. grounded). I've hooked up my sat cables through the new surge protector (this one can actually pass sat bandwidth signals) and will watch for issues.

Thanks!

Doug_

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest problem with no Satellite ground is hum created by a ground loop. If you do not have this problem, you may be okay without worrying about it. I made the Dish Network ground my dish. I refused to sign the installation paperwork until he did so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks