What's new

Grounding satellite cables? (1 Viewer)

DavePL

Grip
Some questions...

Is it necessary to ground each cable run from my sat dish?

And do those grounding blocks degrade the signal at all?

Also... I've got a Terk M58 multiswitch. I need to feed 2 STB's from my antenna in the attic. Would I be better off using a good splitter on the antenna cable and running separate lines to each box, or just let the Terk handle it?

Thanks

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
They do degrade the signal. You should have no more than 3 connections between the LNB and the reciever. Most splitters are not rated for the frequency range in sat

DavePL

Grip
Thanks Grant.

Maybe I'll try one with a ground block and one without,see if it makes a big differnce and go from there.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t expect you’ll see a difference. A grounding block is a straight-through connection, like a coupler. It doesn’t reduce or degrade the signal. If it does, you already had a worse problem - like a faulty cable, too many splits, poor signal strength, etc.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
With STB's, each unit provides voltage to the LNB. If you are using a splitter, one of the connections needs to be blocking the voltage to the dish. Or, you should have a dish that has 2 LNBs on it. Hopefully, the Terk unit takes care of this for you.

DavePL

Grip
Wayne and Lee,

Thanks.

I'm hooking everything up this weekend so I'll go ahead and use the ground blocks.

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I start trying to hook everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks