What's new

Grounding question (1 Viewer)

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
After reading Shade's post about the improper installation of his satellite system, I became worried about mine as well.
I purchased a Dish Network system through AllSat, and called a local place to install it for me, since I am not exactly mechanically inclined. :) Anyway, the man who came to do the work seemed pretty professional, and never gave me any inkling that there was something wrong. However, I looked outside, and I don't see any kind of grounding block. Is there anyway for me to check?

andyg

Agent
If you do not see a grounding block leading from the connection at the dish, then it was not installed properly. The grounding block should be as close as possible to the dish or point of entry to the building. The grounding block should have a larger diameter wire connected to a rod 4'-6' long which is pounded into the ground.
Of course this is only to help with static build-up being discharged to ground. This indirectly helps with lightning strikes, but does not stop lightning discharges to enter the home. There is very little grounding that can help you with a direct strike.
--Andy Garabedian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks