Grounding question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brady B, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Brady B

Brady B Auditioning

if my RCA receiver box has the three prong plug, which it does, is this essentially grounding the system? My install as just completed and we just ran the cable into the house from the dish, no grounding block. I was told that the RCA receiver, unlike the Hughs, is the only one with the three prong. Am I wrong here?
    Brady

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Very wrong. The three pronged plug is to protect you from shorts in the receiver. A lightning bolt is another story.
    I do believe that a grounding block is required by the NEC, and you could get fined for not having it. I won't get into what would happen if your dish was struck. (Ok, the bolt could go right into your TV) Think about it.
    Glenn

3. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

Grounded or not, if your dish gets struck by a direct lightning bolt, your whole system will get fried. The purpose of grounding is not to protect against this. You would need grouding wire the guage of a huge tree trunk to protect against direct strikes.
    The purpose of grounding is to direct static buildup on your dish (which is common) to the ground and not into your componenets. Static electricity in your components, i.e., receiver, etc. is not a good thing [​IMG].