Grounding a Satellite Dish Installation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_S, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_S

Jeffrey_S Stunt Coordinator

Jan 17, 2002

I've got a problem that I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I installed my own DSS system about two years ago and grounded it to a cold water pipe in my house. For the most part, everything has been fine, with the exception of some minor annoyances:

1. Although my picture is crystal clear, I periodically get a series of very faint horizontal lines that scroll up the screen. When they reach the top, a new series begins the process again. This can even occur, on occation, while watching DVDs.

2. I just bought a power amp as I am going the separates route. I have a hum in my speakers that appears when my amp is turned on and disappears when I unplug my DSS coax.

I believe that both of these minor but annoying problems are due to a ground loop problem created by my DSS having a different ground path than my electrical system. What I'm thinking of doing is eliminating the current DSS ground to the cold water pipe and running a wire from the DSS mounting block outside the house, around the house to where my grounding rod is for the electrical service. So my questions are:

1. Is this a reasonable plan and will it eliminate my problems?

2. I will need to run the ground wire from the connection block of the DSS about 90 feet. This is why I opted to do the cold water pipe grounding to begin with. I believe the spec for such a grounding run is 10 guage solid copper wire for normal run distances. I'll probably look to use 8 or even 6 guage wire. Which do you think would be best?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

Dec 31, 2001
    I bought a Monster Power HTS-2000 from (I think?). anyways, you can check reviews on the 2000 and the 1000 at
    for being a Monster product, I'm surprised, as this has added alot of value to my home theater setup, and wasn't what I would call a ripoff of any sort.
    I paid somewhere around $200 for the 2000 I believe, but the 1000 can be found for around $125 I think.
    really works, I had intermittent humming on my subwoofer, and other various noise issues, possibly ground loop related.
    not only do you get lower noise, a really nice power strip, and filtering, but you also get a surge protector. Which is essential unless you like sending your equipment to the repair shop, or replacing fuses yourself.