Groundhog Day DVD - sound mix

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EdHoch, Feb 8, 2005.

1. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    So my wife and I sat down for our annual viewing of Groundhog Day last week. The first viewing on the Mits 46" by the way.

Anyway, the sound mix and volume on the DVD were much worse than I had noticed before. The music was more pronounced and the dialouge seemed buried.

In addition, I had to crank the volume up to the mid 30s on the television. All of my other DVD's sound fine at around 20-25. I tried both English Language sound options, but had the same issue.

Anyone else notice this? Thanks!

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Ed:

Which release? The first release or the SE?

Not that it matters much from my perspective because I've owned both and don't recall any audio issues with either.

My wife and I haven't made time yet for our annual viewing. [​IMG] (Something we usually do too! Its definitely in our joint list of top-five favorite films.)

But you're reporting that you are using the TV's speakers and are watching this film for the first time on the Mits 46"? Did you try changing your sound settings on the TV? Just a thought.

3. Colby

Colby Stunt Coordinator

Colby
    I noticed this the other day as well. (We're talking about the original release, I assume. The SE has a new mix.) I had to crank the volume up several notches.

I need to get the SE, especially for the Ramis commentary.

4. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Excellent commentary and the special feature make the SE a worthy double dip if you only own the first one.

5. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

is PQ improved on the new SE?

This was a great-sounding laser...the PCM really did wonders with surround sound especially with all the music and crowd noises when they were at the fair the morning of groundhog day.

Haven't listened to the 5.1 DVD in a while...I'll have to check it out (have the first DVD version)

6. seanJ

seanJ Agent

Agree with david on the laserdisc pcm track - to my ears it sounded clearer and more dynamic than the original dvd release - haven`t seen/heard the special edition dvd though.
    Great film, one for the ages.

Regards

7. EdHoch

EdHoch Stunt Coordinator

Ed Hochstatter
    Actually this is the Special Edition DVD which came out a year, maybe 18 months ago?

And I thought about changing the TV speaker setting, but then decided not to mess with it since all my other DVDs sound fine.

Maybe I just got a goofy disc...

One of my all time favorite movies though, Bill Murray's best performance say I.

"What did you study in college?"
    "Eighteenth Century French Poetry"
    chuckle "What a waste of time!"