What's new

Ground problem? (1 Viewer)

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using a PA amp on a DIY subwoofer and I am getting a ground hum in both the sub and speakers. The PA amp is grounded and the reciever is not which seems to be the problem.

I tried the PA amp on an extension cord that eliminates the ground and it sounds fine, hum dissappears. Is it ok to run it like this? Seems like it would be a better idea to ground my reciever then to "unground" my amp. Can I do this?

Why are recievers not grounded anyway?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Officially no...

Unofficially, I do what ever works to get rid of ground loops, including lifting a ground or two. So heck yeah...

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator
I guess i'll leave it "ungrounded". Can anybody explain why recievers are not grounded? Wouldnt this help the problem? Or would it only make things worse?

John S

Senior HTF Member
50/50 chance of it helping or hurting really.....

Ground loop issues have driven me to insanity on more than one occasion. My position these days is whatever it takes to get rid of it.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I Agree - Whatever it takes to eliminate ground loops is the correct solution. Half the audio gear I see in pro installations has the ground pin snapped off.

I just wish that the makers would keep the signal ground and power/safety ground separate! Let's have a demand to go full, true balanced line on everything, too.

Hey, I can dream, right? :b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks