What's new

"ground loop" problem? (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm having a cable grounding problem that causes a dark line to move from bottom to top of the screen. It is only visible during dark scenes. I've discovered that it is the cable tv wire or input that is causing the problem. When I unplug the cable it goes away, but it is annoying to have to unplug the cable before watching a movie. Is there anything that can be done to correct the grounding problem? I live in an apartment so I don't know if the cable company can do anything. Is there an easy fix other than unplugging the cable every time you watch a movie. Thanks for the help.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
There are isolators you can get to remove the cable ground. A search on this forum will probably locate a few. Another member suggested that you use a pair of balanced transformers: 75 to 300 ohm, then 300 ohm to 75; then connect the cable to your TV. That member claimed this would break the ground. It didn't work for me. I don't have a line but have "ground hum" and found that using a very good surge protector with a cable in/out worked for me. The hum is not completely gone, but it is 90% better. It might work to get rid of your line.

SMK

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thanks Meaux, I went to radio shack and got a 2 prong adapter and it clear the problem up. This site has helped me solve every problem that has come up in my home theater. This site is a great tool. Best on the web!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks