Ground Loop Problem (almost) Solved

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mat_M, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Not sure which forum this belongs in (maybe tweaks/connections?), so I thought I'd share my experience today:

I live in Tempe, AZ, and today I had Cox come out and install digital cable. The moment the cable was hooked into the wall, hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 'Dangit' I think to myself, ground loop problem. The first thing that pops in my head is, I can just run a wire from the ground terminal in my surge protector (the surge protector that my Amp is connected to) to the outer conductor of the cable coax. This majorly reduced the hum, but it was still present. So I decided to trek over to Rat Shack and buy these two parts: http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/cablehum.html
    I hook them up to the wall. The hum is completely gone! That is, until I put my ear up to my speakers...It's still there. So I figure, why not try using my first idea in conjunction with the Rat Shack parts. Bingo! The hum is completely gone.

Fine print: There are 'ghost' images on some of the channels. I'm now off to figure out how to get rid of those. If any of you have some ideas on how to get rid of them, by all means, please share them.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if your surge protector's got a cable in/out, try sticking it there. it should've been grounded properly though by the cable company by having it tied to your earth ground.

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Shoot, I forgot to mention that. I have the cable running through the surge protector. It's a Monster HTS1000. I live in an old part of town in an apartment, so I guess I'd have to get the landlord involved if we need the cable company sticking stakes in the ground. Anyhow, I've since shielded the Rat Shack parts and the ghosts are pretty much gone.

4. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

5. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I have a plastic container I've put the two Rat Shack pieces in, then I have it encased in aluminium foil which is shorted to my ground terminal. First impressions probably have it sounding like a crappy solution, but I think it's rather elegant. Besides, it's hidden behind my entertainment system.