Ground Loop Isolator

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveHo, Dec 12, 2001.

1. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

Has anybody tried one of these: Parts Express Ground Loop Isolator
    This was marked "New" in the catalog I received a few days ago and is not currently in stock according to the web site, so maybe it is brand new. It is dirt cheap compared to other reputable isolation Xformers such as the Jensen, Holland Electronics, or Mondial Magic box.
    I currently have a slight hum due to my CATV feed which is audible at the speaker, but not at the listening position. Not worth the $50+ price for the others, but at only $12.80 for this one, heck why not.
    -Dave

2. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Dave,
    I bought a pair of the Holland units locally for only $6.82 each. It was at a store called Electrotex here in Houston. You can find it http://www.electrotex.com/
    If you call them they might be able to send you one or two, but they may be OOS since I bought the last two they had on the rack. They are hanging directly in front of the parts counter. Good Luck!

3. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

John,

Thanks. I was under the impression the Holland unit was much more expensive than that. A search on the Electrotex site didn't turn up the Holland unit. I'll have to give them a call. Still curious about the PE unit though.

-Dave

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

DaveHo,

You won't find it on the webpage (I did the same thing). Just give Electrotex a call and ask them to ship it to you (Model #CCI-1, $5.92). Mine arrived today, thanks to John's advice!

For some reason though, it blocked my satellite's signal from getting through no matter where I put it in the signal chain. The "searching for signal" screen came up and never turned off. Perhaps it's only good for CATv and not sat...any ideas, John?

Regards,

Ron

5. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ron,

I had the same problem with Radio Shack parts also. I still have the hum when directly connected to the receiver from dish and don't know what else to do.

Shanthi

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Direct TV and Dishnetwork both use a Gigahertz signal from the dish to the reciever, the trap shown probably is for cable and good to about 800 Mhz and is probably blocking the raw sat signal

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Ron: Eric may be right about this. I am using a pair of these units; one on my OTA HD signal and another on my Analog Cable signal. I do not have Direct TV so I have no idea what to do about that... sorry?

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

John,

Hey, no worries! That's the beauty of this thing...I only spent $6 on it! Now, the question is, do I drop $100 on the Mondial Magic Box?

BTW, I have contacted an electrician to check out the ground/outlets in my house and, depending on the cost, run a dedicated 20 amp circuit just for my HT gear. I guess I'll see what he says before I check out the Mondial box.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Ron

9. Drew_N

Drew_N Extra

I was just logging on to report on the ground loop isolator from Parts Express. They were backordered for awhile and I finally got mine yesterday.

It works great!!! I had a nasty ground loop ever since I got my 50H81 and was almost embarrased to show it off. I hooked this thing up in 2 seconds and it was gone. My picture is exactly what it should be.

I can't recommend the thing enough, its only $12 and its well made.

10. SamRoza

SamRoza Stunt Coordinator

No, don't waste money on the Magic Box yet.

What I've recommended to several longtime posters has worked in every case that involved Cable TV signals as the culprit.

Go buy the most inexpensive powerstrip that has a Cable filter on it as well. Plug in your cable, route the cable to your system, more often than not it will solve the problem.

Sam