Ground loop hum with bass shakers? How to avoid?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris PC, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hello. Just wondering how I can avoid a ground loop hum I am getting while testing my bass shakers. I have two shakers in series on the left channel of an older stereo receiver. I have the left input of the AUX connected to a cable from the subwoofer output of my home theatre receiver (SR 8000). I get a ground loop hum in the shakers (at least its proof they work..lol..and I hear a hum from the main speakers conencted to my receiver). In fact, thats the only action I've gotten out of this setup at all. I will try it one more time, but I need to find out how to avoid the ground loop hum. I'll try plugging the power cords into separate circuits if possible. Of that doesn't work, is there some sort of ground loop isolator I can put on the RCA cable or the power cord or something? Both amps are only two-prong.

Do I need to plug the receiver and bass shaker receiver into the same outlet or power strip? I was deliberately plugging them into separate outlets.

thanx

[​IMG]

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I think I fixed it. I plugged the receiver into the same outlet as the bass shaker receiver and all seems ok. I actually noticed that the input I was using may have been faulty, so I chose another one and it seems to be working now [​IMG]

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    This sometimes fixes it. Ground loop is caused by different ground points. So naturally if the plugs have a ground, try plugging them into the same outlet/circuit/surge protector.