What's new

ground loop hum from receiver's monitor-out plug... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

my onkyo receiver generates a hum whenever the "mon-out" connection is plugged in. it only happens on the receiver end. if i disconnect the cable at my tv the hum remains. as soon as i unplug it from the receiver it goes away.

i've tried switching cables with no luck. i can't help but think it has something to do with that specific plug. maybe an internal short???

anyways, any ideas?

thx,

ted

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I had the same problem with my previous (Sony 5ES) receiver. I found the culprit to be my cable TV cable. I fixed this by using a cheater plug.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
juan - i disconnected my tv cable and the hum remained, so i don't believe it's coming from the tv cable.

thx for the link jeff - i'm a little hesitant to use a cheater plug, but i may give it a shot.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
My god I cant believe I never thought about the CATV being grounded at a different point from the house eletrical causing a groundloop I've already forwarded this info on to my boss here at work (I work for Comcast) to have esc up to our installers so that they will start grounding to the same point to stop this from happening anymore god I feel like an idiot for not realizing this earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks