What's new

Ground loop from antenna (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Got a Directv HDTV tivo and hooked up the antenna thats connected to the wall plate in my apartment to get ota locals in HD. Bam... Ground Loop hum. Never had the hum till now. I figure the antenna installed is grounded at a different location. It's not as bad as I've hears some others before but definitely noticable and bad enough to warrant a fix. Anyway, whats the best way to go about fixing a ground loop with a passive antenna?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Thanks John. Good to hear from you. I'm gonna try running the line through my Panamax surge protector 1st to see if that will tie in the ground points. If not, Ill get that Video Isolation Transformer.

Ill give you a call when I finish my GR sub so we can do a listening session.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Panamax 5100 and it did not stop the humming, but the Isolation x-former did. I called Comcast and they eventually fixed it.

:emoji_thumbsup: Cool on the GR sub. Definitely would like to hear that one.

I know two Master electricians that say it's just fine. Whats the worst that can happen???? Direct lightning strike? Do U really think a a 3 prong plug is going to save your equip. after something like that??? Go spend 69 cents, pop in your favorite DVD, and enjoy...

Matt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The third prong doesn't protect your equipment, but it IS part of the design of the equipment. You should only use a cheater plug when connecting directly to the wall outlet, once you have VERIFIED that the screw on the face plate is properly grounded. If it isn't, you have stray electrical current that was intended to drain to earth ground flowing through the gear instead of to ground and may actually make the hum WORSE. It is also a potental saftey issue, though I doubt harmful, it may cause damage to other equipment connected to the ungrounded device. So, that 69 cent solution might end up costing you a lot more.

Not a whole lot of lightning to worry about here...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Yah, would rather stay away from cheater plugs if possible. Ground lead is on the gear for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks