Grosse Pointe Blank, Anamorphic or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Winkler, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Just a quick question here, is Grosse Pointe Blank anamorphic and is it 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 or some other aspect ratio? I've just recently purchased this movie due to a 50% drop in price and I'm not sure what I'm seeing on my TV.
    The case says it's 1.85:1 but it seems wider.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

It's not anamorphic.

It looks about 1.85:1 to me

-V

3. Steve Winkler

Thanks guys, should've known it wasn't anamorphic being an older Buena Vista release. Too bad, I quite like the movie itself.
    Steve

4. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

5. Niko Nykanen

Niko Nykanen Stunt Coordinator

6. Steve Winkler

Niko,
    I have a Toshiba TW56x81 16x9 tv and was watching the movie in Full mode at first, but it looked a little squished so switched to Theater Wide 2. That is the view mode to watch non-anamorphic dvd's on my particular model. I thought maybe the aspect ratio was more like the R1 Austin Powers disc, 2.0:1, as I still had sizeable black bars showing on my screen. Any other 1.85:1 movie on my set, the bars are so tiny you can hardly see them. Maybe my overscan on the TW 2 mode is off somewhat. I rarely watch non-anamorphic discs anymore and TW 2 might not be tweaked quite right.
    Robert, you are most correct. I still enjoyed the movie, one of Cusak's best IMO.
    Steve