Grocery Shopping Woes

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MarkHastings, Sep 29, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Why do people always do this? It happens to me everytime I go grocery shopping...People are so damn anxious to get through the line that they push their carriages into your "space". I pay with my credit card so I always need to use the little shelf near the cash register to sign the slip of paper. Since I usually go shopping later in the day, there are no bag-boys so I have to bag myself. Since I am at the end of the line, the guy behind me always pushes his carriage in front of that shelf area so when I'm done bagging, I have to lean over his carriage to sign the paper.

I've noticed it more and more the past few times and I'll usually give the person a look like "Do you mind moving so I can sign the slip", but the person never moves their carriage. I know I should probably say something, but wouldn't you think people would have enough sense to move their carriage when I'm leaning over trying to sign the slip??? If they aren't going to move when it's obvious that they are in my way, will saying anything make it better? I can just see the person getting all offended that I asked them to move [​IMG]

I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I no longer have faith in anyone anymore. All people are concerned about is themselves and won't budge to help someone out.

I really wish they'd design a check out counter that keeps these people at bay until the person in front of them has completely finished their business.

Oh and here's another one...Have you ever gotten the giant slip back from the cashier and you're trying to put it in your wallet and the person behind you is practiaclly running you down with thier carriage because they are on top of you and trying to hurry you up even more so. [​IMG]

Do you think it's best if I take this grievance up with the supermarket? Or should I just suck it up and deal with it? It would be great if they had a turnstile that would hold the other person back until I was finished with my transaction [​IMG] Since they won't act like civilized human beings, than we'll treat them like cattle.

2. David-S

David-S Second Unit

I'm constantly confounded by people who see no problem w/ taking up an entire aisle/sidewalk etc, and not getting out of your way, then give you an odd look when you squeeze by them...

/rant off

3. MarkHastings

Yeah, in the past, if someone was doing something rude, you'd ask them to stop (or to move) and they'd get embarrassed and move out of your way. But now it seems like everyone has an attitude and if you say something, YOU are the one being rude. I just never know how to handle these situations anymore.

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

I hate stores that only have a certain number of checkers at certain times of day and refuse to bring in any more even when there's a zillion people in the store.

I can't say I've had quite the same experience as you Mark, I generally use my debit card which I do most of the work for before my stuff is even finished ringing up, after the total comes up all I have to do is hit 'yes'. Usually the person behind me is throwing their stuff on the conveyor belt, but their cart is at a reasonable distance from me.

This may create more of a problem than you're solving, but you could keep your cart behind you as a buffer between you and the next idiot. However, this would prevent timely bagging of your stuff. Maybe you should get an extra cart before you get in line - one to bag your stuff and one to be the buffer zone. Might almost work as a two man operation, haha.

More realistically, I would just ask them nicely if they could scoot back a little. Sure they'll give a little attitude if they're a complete jackass, but who cares? It doesn't hurt you any that they think you're the most inconsiderate person in the universe because you asked them to move like 12 whole inches back.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And who thought those humongous shopping carts with the car facade were a good idea? They are wider and longer than a normal shopping cart, and are a total nuisance!

6. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

my local supermarket has self checkout lines [​IMG] they never have a line and I can take my time checking out. they have a small pad that you sign digitally if you use a credit card.

7. MarkHastings

8. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

10. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Yes! and how the express lane never seems to be open. Not that my time is money, but I hate having to wait in a long line when I only have three or four items.

11. MarkHastings

12. david stark

david stark Second Unit

There was one supermarket at least in UK (safeway) that had hand held scanners. You needed a loyalty card, when you went in you swipe your card and get a scanner. You just scanned the bar codes of the items you put in your trolley. When you want to leave, you replace your scanner and you get printed a reciept. The reciept has a bar code on it and also say if you have to be checked (if you do you have to go and check out as normal, but this is infrequent). Usually you do not need to be checked so you go directly to a special line, give in your reciept, you get a full printed reciept and pay and go, no need to scan all the items again. Also with this you can pack the stuff directly into boxes and so don't have to muck about with loads of plastic bags.

Since moving to Canada and losing this I pretty much get everything online. Just use an online supermarket and get the food delivered in an evening. Takes 20 minutes online picking it all and they have always turned up at the alloted time (a 90 minute window) and will deliver the following day if you order before 11pm I think.

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Or if it is open, the person running it feels bad about there being only a couple lanes open so they encourage customers with more than "10 items" or whatever to come to the Express line, therefore defeating the entire purpose of having an Express line.

My supermarket peeve: I hate it when people are going down the right side of the aisle but looking at the shelves on the left (or left looking to right), so you have no place to go but between them and the items they're looking at and they expect you to say "Excuse Me" even though they're the one taking up the whole entire aisle. I have no problems walking and shopping on the same side of the aisle, I don't know why no one else can. [​IMG]

Oh, and I have yet to use a self-checkout that actually works as it's supposed to. In fact, a couple of the stores around here that put them in are now taking them out so apparently I'm not alone in being frustrated by them.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

What I've learned from this thread:

I'm way too considerate to my fellow shoppers...

15. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

16. wally

wally Second Unit

17. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

18. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

You must be shopping in the wrong neighborhood.

In lieu of that, I wouldn't start bagging until I had signed the tag, and literally put my foot down (you might want to wear some boots) against their front wheels.

If they complain, just explain it. If you plan it right you could even bag (and take home) some of their food. [​IMG]

19. MarkHastings

Chris, actually I did switch to a different grocery store because the one I used to go to was worse. This new one isn't as bad, but you can never run away from your problems. [​IMG]

Also, about those carriages with the toy cars. Chris, it's good to hear that you are aware of people around you. I see too many people who forget about that extra length and treat the carriage like a normal sized shopping carriage. There's a reason why you need a special license to operate a big rig truck, and most of the people with these giant carts prove this reason by the way they crash into everything.

Maybe we need be licensed in shopping carriage driving? or at least have a way of fining them if they do something wrong (like park the carriage to one side of the isle and bend down at the opposite side of the isle, basically making it impossible to pass by)

I liked Wally's store with a green light that keeps people out of your "Space" until you are finished.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

[​IMG]

I never bag my own food. I'm not being paid to work there.