What's new

Grizzly Man - DVD modified from theatrical release? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I heard an interview with Herzog on NPR about this film. He said that not including the death audio in the film was his own artistic decision, IIRC.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
If his reaction to listening to the tape was genuine (as I expect it was) then he made the right decision not including it in the film or on the DVD, IMHO.

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator
I had the film on tonight and made sure to check, and the version that Discovery is airing DOES include the Letterman footage. It's re-airing tomorrow night if any of you completists missed it. :)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Is the Discovery Channel version modified for TV or is it the actual movie?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well commercials within every ten minutes.
edited by bleeping any curse words.

i didnt see the letterman footage.
i may have walked out of the room fora minute and missed it though.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Interesting to hear that the Letterman footage was in the TV broadcast. Perhaps Lionsgate forgot to get clearance for the DVD?

I watched this on DVD instead of the broadcast since I knew it would be edited and have commercials interrupting it.

Fascinating movie and the Academy should be ashamed of themselves in not nominating this for Best Documentary.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I don't know that Discovery edited their broadcast beyond bleeping the swear words. It included some very graphic images.

Great film, but there were WAY too many commercial breaks. It would have been better to have fewer, longer breaks. (IMDB lists the running time as 103 minutes; the Discovery broadcast ran 150 minutes!)

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the letterman footage at the beginning of the documentary was also left in for it's airing on the Discovery Channel last week. Wonder why the DVD cut it, guess rights...

MatthewHA

Grip
The Letterman footage is definately in the version I saw on the Discovery Channel. It is near the beginning. The audience laughing at David's suggestion that Treadwell might be eated by the bears is disturbing becuase that is exactly what happened to Treadwell.

Excellent film. I have only seen it on Discovery Channel and I made sure to record it. I suspect, like myself, many people have conflicting thoughts about Treadwell after viewing GRIZZLY MAN. I have sympathy as a fellow human being that he died in the manner he did. On the other hand, he was obviously delusional and no one should be surprised that he was killed by a bear in the wilderness. I see a little of myself in Treadwell. (I said A LITTLE!) I see some of my brother in Treadwell--the delusional, manic/depressive addict. In my view, Treadwell shifted his drug and alcohol addictions to an addiction to the bears and other wild animals. The fact that I am pondering the film days after I watched it demonstrates that for me at least, Herzog did a superb job in crafting this film. We often hear people label (perhaps an overuse)a film as POWERFUL. If this is a "powerful film", what has this film the "power" to do? Since I can only speak for myself, GRIZZLY MAN has the power to stay with me and remain in my consciousness with a strong impression, days after I have watched it, and I have the desire to watch it again soon. Only a few films have that distinction with me.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
I finally dug this out to watch yesterday, I've had it since release day, just never watched it.

Certainly one of Herzog's best in my opinion, and a perfectly balanced documentary (unlike a lot of what passes for "documentary cinema" these days). In regards the "death tape", I think this documentary had a fine line to tread between sappy/emotive, and shock doc. gore, and it did it really well. I highly recommend this film, and the DVD is only $10 at Amazon (and just £5 at Play.com for my fellow Brits!) so I see no reason why everyone should not buy a copy today...

My complete review of the film (and the R1 disc) - Grizzly Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks