Grizzly Man - DVD modified from theatrical release?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jean-Michel, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

The first thing that pops up when you select "Play Movie" on the DVD is a notice reading "This film has been modified from the original theatrical version." I missed it in theaters so I have no clue what's been removed or otherwise altered. Has anyone heard anything about this?

2. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Wish I could say I have but it never got a theatrical screening here in Montreal. I plan on picking the DVD up this Tuesday though, I've really been looking forward to it's release so I'd also like to know whatsup with that notice...

3. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

I saw the film in the theater and hope to snag a copy of the DVD at least as a rental. Then I could comment on any alterations.

4. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I noticed the listed DVD runtime is 4 minutes longer than the theatrical presentation. And I've seen a couple of discs lately that had that "modified notice", and they were extended or longer director's cut versions. So I'm guessing that the notice refers to added footage.

But I couldn't find a definitive answer to the question...tough at this time as so few people saw this in theaters and the disc isn't officially released yet.

5. WillG

WillG Producer

The new "The Frighteners" dics has a "This Film has Been Modified......" Disclaimer that referred to the extra footage. They should probably use different warnings though as "This Film has been Modified....." Dredges up negative connotations for people like us.

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Ah yes, The Frighteners...that was one of them. That notice can be scary, we might guess MAR at first. In this case, my first thought was "they changed the music", maybe no Richard Thompson. Doesn't seem to be that.

Admit it's odd they don't mention the cut is different on the package, if it really is. We got that on another disc in Canada lately (Fantastic Four), absolutely no mention it wasn't the theatrical cut shown here, neither with a "warning" like on GM nor on the package. Also, GM is released in Canada on the Maple label, and though they have been quite good on some titles, the odd one has been "short" compared to the U.S. Lions Gate release. But seem the same this time.

I think they added in some footage here, that's all. We'll need somebody with a good memory who saw it.

7. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

This is very interesting. I loved it when I saw it at the theater, so I'm eager to pick up the disc next week, though I can't promise I'll be able to spot anything new or different. One thing that I remember made a ton of people on IMDB mad...
    towards the end of the film, Herzog listens to the audio tape of Treadwell and Amy's deaths and all you see is his reactions as he listens. I think it was far more tasteful to NOT put the audio of the tapes in, because it seems kind of like exploitation to me. But I do remember a huge thread on IMDB of folks who were curious about what was on the tape.
    I know Herzog made the decision on what to include and what not to include, but it is possible that LGF threw it onto the DVD. I'm just guessing though, based on what I've read of people's reactions. I suppose we'll see soon enough

8. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    NOW you're scaring me. Speaking as a Canadian would-be purchaser. Generally I don't put much stock in US/Can rating differences. But if that "audio" was added, it could make a rating difference, and the Can. version is rated "lower". OTOH, I've noticed that on some Maple releases that were identical to the LG in the US. So much speculation... The OP can answer about the tape audio though, and verify if the quoted runtime is accurate. Maybe also mention which country version he has.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm almost 110% certain that audio portion will never be featured on any home video medium nor made public regardless of what people on IMDB think.

I'm curious whether the Maple Leaf release will vary in any way from the US disc, in terms of content, disc specs, or cover art?

Has anyone seen whether the keepcase artwork is the same as used on the US release?

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

It's likely Herzog didn't even record that audio so there's no way that it could be in the film.

I saw it in the theater and it remains my favorite film of this year, but I don't plan on buying the DVD right now so I can't help with the possible differences.

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Sorry, I didn't know this hasn't actually streeted yet -- I watched it with a friend who works at Blockbuster and I didn't think to ask if it was a prerelease copy. But I can confirm that we don't hear any of the tape on the DVD and the scene in question goes down pretty much exactly as David describes it. If it is an extended cut I'm surprised they didn't advertise it in any way on the packaging, given the unrated/"NOW WITH FIFTEEN SECONDS OF EXTRA FOOTAGE" craze the studios have embraced so wholeheartedly.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the audio of the death is definetly not there.
    just werner describing some and telling the woman who owns the tape to never listen to it and to never look at the autopsy photos.

this is a devastating movie.
    i had no idea what i was going to see whn i watched this the other day.

simply amazing that he lived with these bears for so long before finally being killed by them.

what are the qualifications for getting nominated for best doc, i just dont see how this isnt there.

i can see this being in the best Picture category.

13. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

I watched the DVD and just now I'm reading Ebert's review. The review mentions that we see footage of Treadwell on David Letterman's show. No such footage is seen on the DVD.

So, not having seen the movie theatrically, that's my assumption: removal of Letterman footage (due to rights issues?).

--K

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the review doesnt say the footage is in the movie.

i think ebert is just referencing an appearance on letterman from a year or so before his death.

"In happier times, we see Treadwell as a guest on the David Letterman show. "Is it going to happen," Letterman asks him, "that we read a news item one day that you have been eaten by one of these bears?" Audience laughter. Later in the film, we listen to the helicopter pilot who retrieved Treadwell's bones a few days after he died: "He was treating them like people in bear costumes. He got what he deserved. The tragedy of it is, he took the girl with him."

i didnt see it at the theater so it may have been there.

15. Karl F

Karl F Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty certain Ebert's referencing the movie. That paragraph's in present tense; the first half would've been past tense if Ebert was talking about a prior appearance.

Anyway, someone who saw it in the theater will chime in soon enough, I'm sure.

--K

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

For what it's worth, though I could be very wrong, I really don't think Herzog would have used footage from a David Letterman show in his film. I also got the sense that Ebert was just referancing that episode to the effect of the tragic irony of events and situations as depicted in the film. I think Werner Herzog is capable of expressing that much more elegantly through his own filmmaking and art. Again, having not seen the film, I could be wrong. But having seen and being a fan of most of Herzog's previous work, I don't see clips of David Letterman's show being used here in this film...

17. David Jay

I remember the Letterman footage was in the theatrical cut. I've recently read a book on Treadwell, Grizzly Maze, so I wasn't sure if I'd just read about it there or if it was actually in the film. But then I read the blurb TonyD posted and that jarred my memory.

18. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Anybody verify the DVD runtime? If it's accurate, then what's going on here, exactly what cut have we got? Somebody's saying the Letterman footage isn't on the DVD version, yet it's still (supposedly) longer than the TC.

Edit: Would anyone with the U.S. version care to verify if it's DD5.1 sound? Canadian version states DD2.0...may as well add to the "Canadian screw-up" list if true.
    Edit again: I think that allegation of 5.1 is a mistake perpetuated by a few sites/retailers who got info from same place.

19. Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton Stunt Coordinator

The Letterman footage was DEFINITELY in the theatrical version. This was a really insane film. When we saw it, the audience was hysterical, laughing loudly throughout most of the film. It plays like a Christopher Guest comedy. Do you guys think Herzog knew that the story was funny, despite the tragedy, and that he edited the film to play up the humor?

20. David Jay

Craig, the DVD's runtime is 1:44:02, whereas IMDb lists the runtime as 103 minutes. That's only a one minute gap, plus the Letterman clip. I'll watch it within the next couple of days and see if I remember anything missing. Also, my copy (US retail version) has only a Dolby 2.0 track, no other alternate tracks. This is a documentary, so I don't really mind the lack of 5.1.

Bradley, I don't think that Herzog tried to play up the humor, though it does have some very funny moments, which I think Timothy was aware of while he was filming. But, some of it is funny in a "gosh, this guy is nuts" way. The poo scene sticks out in my mind. I don't know about the audience, really. I think today' moviegoing public seems to miss the point of most things entirely. For instance, when I saw A History of Violence, everybody in the crowd cheered when violence was carried out.[​IMG]