What's new

Grizzly Man, a terrific documentary (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I didn't have a problem with Werner's narration, but you do bring up a good point about Morgan Freeman. He has a voice perfectly suited to narration. I could listen to him reading the phone book. :)

Lucy Ash

Auditioning
I had similar feelings about Herzog's voiceover at the beginning of the film. His accent isn't exactly soothing and his pronunciation of some words can be distracting. However, this was at the point when I thought the film was going to be a character study of someone just a bit eccentric with some lovely wildlife footage.

As it became clear to me that the film is far darker and deeper than this, the personalisation that his own voice brought really worked. Also, the one scene he was actually in HAD to be in the film and then it would have felt strange, I think, to use anyone else's voice for the rest.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I love Werner's narration, and the substance of it is as intelligent and empathetic as the subject matter requires. Yes, he could have given it over to a voice actor, but the mellefluous, pre-packaged intoning of such an animal doesn't seem appropriate for this piece. I think it's a much more personal work than that, and having Werner's input as a counterpoint to Treadwell's own narration makes it almost a two-character study. After all, Werner is a fascinating individual in his own right, and his well-known mysticism and fascination with man's place in nature, particularly of the unspoiled, hostile variety, along with his history of bizarre, childlike, tormented, emotionally fractured "leading men" is all part of the film's subtext. And I would fear that the typical voice-work might make this bizarrely affecting piece a bit too generic.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A haunting, mesmerizing, tragic film. I was riveted throughout the entire doc, all the moreso knowing it's tragic end.

I saw it yesterday and I can't get Timothy's blond prince valiant visage and his wild enthusiasm out of my head.

Excellent film.:emoji_thumbsup:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This film is truly a bizarre experience. It amazes me that Treadwell spent so much time with these animals but seemed to gain absolutely no understanding of them. He never got the slightest clue that there are differences between different animals. He dealt with the bears exactly the same as the foxes, even though the foxes seem to be more intelligent and capable of some sort of attachment to him, where the bears were mostly deciding whether or not to have him for lunch. The one scene where he is talking to the camera as the "Grinch" looks at him and clearly decides he looks like a tasty snack was chilling. For him to follow up by stomping his foot, then repeatedly telling the bear "I love you" with such a mushy voice was weird beyond belief.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Finally got around to watching this documentary.

A bizarre individual is an understatement, looking at the footage of his "bear proof supply barrels" makes me wonder that at least one of them must be packed with some high grade marijuana.

Nonetheless, a fascinating story. He died exactly how he wanted to and figured he could be "that actor" that never made it through his death and film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks