What's new

Grindhouse to be split-up for DVD ? (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
I just read this quote in Variety:

"Harvey Weinstein defended the decision to keep the two together Sunday, telling Daily Variety it was artistically the right move and that the movie will be a moneymaker thanks to its foreign sales as separate films and an upcoming DVD rollout, which also will release the films as two separate titles."

I knew that this was being split up for foriegn distribution, but I would be very disappointed if they didn't release a "connected" version on DVD.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
They said the same thing about SIN CITY when it was in theatres, that there would be a special DVD release of all the stories in their own film. But, then they went and released the theatrical version first.

And they made all sorts of claims about the KILL BILL DVD while the film was still in theatres, and we have yet to have anything but the theatrical versions of those.

So, until there is an official announcement, I wouldn't worry.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The soundtracks were released separately (and on different labels), I think the scripts are released separately and the movies are being released on their own everywhere else in the world. So I would imagine that the movies will be released separately on DVD too.

For what it's worth, I'd imagine that you'll be able to recreate the theatrical version at home but it'll just be spread over two discs. And maybe if they release them separately, the movies will actually have special features. Yeah, I'm an optimist.:)

More than anything, I just don't want to wait years and years for an SE like Kill Bill.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Forget the DVD...it might be split up in theaters in the next two weeks!

"Harvey Weinstein told me this morning that he's "incredibly disappointed" with the half-than-expected $12 mil box office for Grindhouse. So much so, that he's considering abandoning the double feature as a single feature concept and re-releasing the movie around the U.S. "in a couple of weeks" as two separate feature-length movies with additional footage put in.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.co...th-grindhouse/

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The only problem is that it was released a few weeks too early- it would've been great for Memorial Day! I was one of the lucky 'few' who saw Grindhouse in theaters this past weekend and loved it! I can't wait for the DVD release with all the deleted scenes and tons of new extras (well, I hope there will be!) At my multiplex, there were cheers and applause for the double feature- to split them up would be an insult to Rodriguez and Tarantino. And if that's done, I want to say 'thanks for nothing', Weinsteins- no wonder you guys lost Miramax to Disney!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I haven't seen this film yet, but it's one of those films that
manages to get me out to the theater -- an event I only do
once or twice a year (I hate movie theaters).

In fact, SCORCESE, SPIELBERG and TARENTINO are the only
three directors that can get me to the theater every time.

I was planning to see Grindhouse next week.

Frankly, I am against the studio splitting this film up for
theatrical or DVD release. The whole concept of the film
is that you are supposed to be taken back to the drive-in
days when you were treated to a double-feature complete
with trailers. If you split the film up, you ruin that concept.

When Grindhouse comes to DVD I want to be able
to recreate that double-feature experience in my home as a
single presentation.

Weinstein should blame himself for releasing this film on an
Easter weekend, expecting it to beat out family fare. The film
should have been delayed. Don't blame the concept -- blame
yourself, Weinstein.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yeah release a T&A/gore fest on an Easter/Good Friday weekend, then be dissapointed in the low numbers and chop the film up as a result. :rolleyes:

Weinstein really is an idiot.

I was planning to go see this in another week or so but by that time it'll be cut in two so I'll just pass and wait for the HD-DVD instead.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Too bad they didnt think it was "artistically the right move" to keep Kill Bill one film.

We're still waiting on that version.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I just saw this yesterday...

It really is an entertaining 3 hours at the theater. Yes, I am a fan of Rodriguez and Tarantino -- and I was into their concept of doing something unique.

I think the idea of releasing each as a separate DVD is odd. However, I wonder if there is is a sentiment that people would "rent" one over the other -- mainly Tarantino's "Death Proof."

I'd imagine that both will be packaged (on release day) in a set together. It'd make sense to do that and I think they likely will.

The strongest of the two entries (in my opinion) is "Death Proof." It has the trademark Tarantino dialogue between characters and a kick-ass car chase scene -- which was great to see in this day and age of CGI car chases.

Rodriguez' "Planet Terror" actually includes more of the computer-added scratches, grain and dust marks than "Death Proof." The big chase sequence on "Death Proof" is actually pretty clean.

So I wonder if there are plans to promote the Tarantino half for award consideration later in the year.

It is essentially the more commercial part of the two.

When I was at the theater yesterday, an individual walked in only for the "Death Proof" feature.

Regardless, I enjoyed the double feature and the associated trailers. It was a neat concept and one of those instances where I'd actually felt I'd gotten my money's worth in the theater.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I don't get why it was released on Easter weekend. Passover also fell over that weekend, so the Weinsteins must have been aware that more moviegoers would want to see family-freindly films that weekend. Here's a drastic idea: pull it from release and re-release it on Memorial Day weekend! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who sees that the studio goofed big time here.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor

Agreed.

I understand the "counter-marketing" aspects, but if you are going to have shocking/bloody films released around Easter, they'd better involve the Bible. ;)

Honestly, this concept would have made more sense as a release around Halloween.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Doesnt this ruin the idea of Grindhouse being a theater experience if its split up?

The whole point was to imitate/bring back the few hours at the theater during the 70s double feature period.

Splitting these is a retarded idea.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I saw the film yesterday and loved it but I've gotta agree with the studio on this one.

People keeping talking about a "film" but this is two seperate movies, not one. This film is no different then if you go watch 300 and then watch ARE WE DONE YET? This is two seperate movies and the country doesn't get the concept of a grindhouse film. Grindhouse films are very, very unpopular so I'm still not sure why people expected this to be a hit. The studio and the directors are at fault for spending $90 million dollars to pay homage to films that were made on a $1,000 budget.

With the fact that people can't understand that these are two films, I think it's also being unfair to Tarantino and the attacks his film is getting for "bringing the film to a slow stop". Again, these are two films so the pacing of DEATH PROOF shouldn't have anything to do with the fast paced PLANET TERROR. Again, they are two films.

People keep blaming the Easter release date but SCREAM was a hit on Christmas when everyone expected it to bomb on a holiday. The problem is that no one knows what a grindhouse is and the fact that these films aren't popular at all. There is nothing mainstream about this film so again, the fault goes to the studio and directors for spending $90 million.

People should also remember that these films were never meant to be shown together except in America. The directors and studios felt that no one would understand the concept so they just tried this in America. From the reports, the East Coast and West Coast had the largest ticket sales while Middle America is where the film tanked. It should come to no shock that real grindhouse films were mainly shown in NYC and L.A..

Anyone can have their own double feature and if the studio splits the film up then ten years from now I'll be happy to say I was one of the few who got to see the "grindhouse" in its original form. There's NO reason to go to the theater anymore with DVD and so forth but this film comes along and gives people a reason to go. Nothing like this film has happened in 30+ years and it looks like it won't ever happen again. If people don't want to take the time and see something rather historic then that's their problem.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"The studio and the directors are at fault for spending $90 million dollars to pay homage to films that were made on a $1,000 budget"

:laugh:

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

GRINDHOUSE was conceived and created as ONE giant film. Yes, the two films within GRINDHOUSE can be separated and shown individually, but Rodriguez and Tarantino always intended this to be a complete double-feature entity with fake trailers and bumpers. What the studio and marketers do with it after that, that's another story. The theatrical version of GRINDHOUSE is ONE film (with two films in it). It's not at all like walking from 300 into ARE WE DONE YET.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think we may see a surge next weekend after people actually understand the concept. I wanted to go on opening weekend but didn't have the time.

MTRodaba2468

Agent
Real Name
Matt Rodabaugh
I think people should have learned after Snakes On A Plane that just because something is popular on the Internet doesn't mean it will be popular in the mainstream.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
To be honest, I know MANY people who are fans (in general) of the work of Rodriguez and Tarantino, but were "turned off" by "Sin City" and the "Kill Bill" movies.

It isn't 1994 when the new generation of crime/gangster films were...well...new.

There have been many imitators of these two directors in the past decade -- some good and some bad.

I respect Tarantino and Rodriguez for "doing what they do" and attempting to "create their own unique artistic visions."

At some point, though, they probably need to helm films that are a bit more "mainstream." (Yes, I know the "Spy Kids" movies were mainstream, but still...)

Both of these gentlemen are talented. Tarantino has a knack for writing clever dialogue.

I'd like to see them bring their talents to films that appeal to people outside of their core audience. The "fanboy" thing is fun when a filmmaker is starting out, but it'd be neat to see them attempt projects with broader appeal.

For example, I could see Tarantino directing a Bond film someday.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I don't agree completely with your call for Tarantino to do more "mainstream" fare, but he HAS gone on record as saying he'd love to direct a Bond film. A Tarantino-directed Daniel Craig-starring Bond would have my ass in the seat on opening day for sure.

BTW, I loved Grindhouse. Fastest-moving 3 hours I've ever spent in a theater. And yes, it was really dumb to release it on Easter weekend.

Those who haven't seen it shouldn't despair yet, I don't think there's been anything cast in stone about splitting it in two (in the Weinstein quote above he says he's "considering" it), and there's been nothing about pulling it from theaters this week. Go see it this weekend and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks