What's new

Grindhouse - New Tarantino/Rodriguez film announced.. (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Sometimes giving something another shot helps. Maybe the dialogue will click better next time, perhaps you'll catch things you might have missed. It's like buying a new record album and hearing all the songs one time and then always subsequently skipping over the tunes which didn't grab you the first time. I know I've come to really like songs with repeated listens which didn't "sing" to me the first time.

Other than that, it's just my opinion that when a person watches a film, they should experience the whole thing, even the second or third times. Otherwise it's not watching the movie per se, but just picking "moments" to highlight.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I agree with Jason, it's the same thing. Of course, everyone is entitled to his own opinion. It's not as "essential" as the very first time you're supposed to be really studying a new film, but leaving the room or being on the computer at the same time, or being somehow otherwise engaged is not actually "experiencing" the movie. Sure, you already know what's going to happen anyway when it's a film you've already seen... but to me, it is a real requirement of mine to watch the film and be aware of it and into it, whether it's the first or fifth time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
....and the point is, I have watched the film in its entirety the
first time.

Why is it a sin to watch it any way I wish for future viewings?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I understand your point that you've seen it in its entirety already so you didn't miss anything (though I believe one may always see or hear new things on subsequent viewings), you may pick up on things you missed before, or perhaps now that you're more familiar with the girls after once seeing DEATH PROOF, their earlier chatting may better reflect their personalities for you. Maybe not, too... but maybe. I didn't care for the talking either the first time and I'm hoping I may appreciate it more with having watched the film once and knowing what's in store for the characters later.

But a "sin"? Not literally, of course! I personally don't see it as proper film watching "etiquette", if you will, but that's me (and some others) . You can do anything you want, even have no sound or watch it backwards.... I'm just sayin'.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Then you haven't experienced the film as it was intended on those later viewings, you just watched highlights.

Now try to imagine those horror people who may have shut the film off well before it got to the vampire stuff, and may have not know they were missing some crazy action they would have liked, because the first half was "too slow" or "just a drama".. Personally, I'm not a fan of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN at all.... But then again, I am qualified to make a judgment because I've seen the whole thing. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Joe, do you have friends come over and watch films with you? Do you 'shoosh' them if they say something during the film? You put Die Hard on for the umpteenth time and just sit there in silence with your mates?

I can't imagine not talking to my friends while a film is on, maybe talk trivia about the film etc but if it's a first watch than we're usually concentrating on the film, unless it's boring the crap out of us than we'll simply ignore it or stop it.

My Sandra can't stop yapping during a film, especially if it's a film that doesn't engage her. It'll be interesting to see her reaction to Grindhouse. She loved Pulp Fiction so she might like the dialogue more than the action.

There are favorite films of mine that I make sure I watch alone and wouldn't dream of skipping chapters or have any interruptions e.g. Ben-Hur, 2001, Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia etc

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I do get together with friends regularly and generally we take our films very seriously, but it pretty much depends on the film we're watching. If none of us has seen it before, we'll never talk during it so we can really focus on it.

Okay, sometimes we'll talk a little during familiar movies we've seen and we'll make observations or point out details to each other, sure. But it's never anything more than a sentence here or there and it's done during a quiet bit of business without dialogue, but nothing extreme. We don't skip scenes.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Wow, Joe is getting raked over the coals here.

He just made a suggestion, and was trying to make a point that people may notice things they hadn't noticed on their first viewing. Some of you are acting like he's holding a gun to your heads, forcing you to watch movies like he does. He just said he doesn't care how you watch movies, even if you watch them backwards.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Joe's alright it's Jason who suggested we were breaking some arcane rule here, equating fast forwarding thru a boring film with supporting pan/scan [rolls eyes] as if every film, no matter how bad, is deserving of respect and film fans should watch every scene every frame, no chance.

There are far more bad films than good out there, how many times I've been dragged to the cinema to see some crappy new horror flick, seeing people walk out half way and really wished I was doing the same, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made! :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Steve, I hope you still think I'm alright, because I agree with Jason! You have to see a film through in order to make a conclusion that people would take seriously, IMO. You can walk out of a movie 45 minutes into it, but then as far as I'm concerned your opinion of the film as a whole is irrelevant, as you're only remarking about what you stayed for up to that point.

Fast forwarding through a film is something non-film fans do, IMO.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Well I'm hardly likely to discuss or chat about a film I've walked out of or stopped watching Joe. But I will mention to friends I stopped watching half way and they can make up their own minds.

I have well over 3000 films on my shelves, like I said there are certain films I love that I wouldn't interrupt, but the rest, depends on the company. ;)

Back to Grindhouse (yay!), I liked it, didn't love it. I will buy it, I just thought it could do with some trimming here and there. Now I hear there is a longer version of Death Proof out there, yikes! :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Criminy, there was a smiley in that post. I just noted that Ron's language could be changed into a defense of P&S just by changing a couple of words, and that struck me funny.

But, yeah, I do feel that you're not really watching the movie unless you're watching it start to finish, just because you're not seeing the whole thing. I'm sort of shocked that that's considered an unusual point of view.

I can't remember the last time I walked out of a movie - the last time I was tempted, I was boxed in and later felt that having my patience tried and being irritated was part of what the filmmakers wanted you to feel at that part of the story, and the later payoff wouldn't be as satisfying if I were to just skip to "the good parts". Similarly, when I put a DVD in, I'm generally expecting to watch it start to end, and it generally only get interrupted if I turn out to be more tired than I thought I was and conk out.

But that's me (and, apparently, Joe). It surprises me that folks think that's particularly strange.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ya know... I'd usually be against splitting up the DVD releases of a film that was released in theatres as one part, but if it means I'll NEVER have to watch Death Proof again, god bless the Weinsteins. :D :D :D :D :D

Looking more and more like that's how the Europeans are going to receive this. I think the Italian market will (*snicker*) EAT UP Planet Terror. Seems like their brand of horror.

I think the problem was that Tarantino actually followed the Grindhouse model and made a generally crappy film while Rodriguez actually made a good zombie picture with a couple nods towards 70s' filmmaking. But that's just me. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I never turn off films, nor leave the room when they're on. I then write detailed 50 page reports, in code, on each film I see, even if it's a repeat viewing. You all suck as movie watchers compared to me.

Just kidding guys, I couldn't resist after finally catching up with this thread. ;)

My .05 cents (see above as to why my opinion matters more [Stop it RUSS!!]):

Liked Planet Terror, Loved Death Proof, I ache to see Zombies trailer turned into a movie, it would be easilly, the greatest movie ever made (take that "Citizen Kane"!). Machette looked better in the teaser trailer then it did during the film. Actually, "hobo with a shotgun" would be pretty sweet too.

Is it confirmed that everywhere on the planet are getting alternate seperated versions of the films, or is that internet rumor?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So.. there are people out there who don't forward thru the Blue Danube sequence of 2001 ASO? :eek:

--
H

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Never! But I have occasionally skipped a chapter or two from the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and they're my favorite films of the 2000's.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Plus I didn't make it thru all of De Niro's interminable film released last year, forgot the title, which just droned on and on [bins movie buff badge].

Russwell those trailers were awful, I mean really awful, if you enjoyed Zombie's effort you should have gone gaga over Planet Terror which is basically how those trailers would look feature length.

Btw anyone else notice similarities between Planet Terror and Return of the Living Dead? Except of course Living Dead was much funnier. :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I usually sleep through that part.

hee hee! kidding.

Christou, how dare you second guess me!! I did like Planet Terror, a lot, a whole lot. Death Proof stuck with me more though. I think Zombies trailer, done right as a movie, would be just so completely off the wall and gonzo, it would be totally fantastic. "Planet Terror" hit all the zombie movie beats, only with all the chutzpaw (SP??? No idea if I say that one right, much less spell it...) then all the other zombie films combined. Zombies Werewolf SS picture would just be comlpetely out of left field, even for a exploitation genre picutre.

Unless someone did make a werewolf/womans prison/SS experiment camp/Fu Manchu picture, in which case you should all be ashamed for not telling me about it :P

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Caught Grindhouse twice in the theaters. This was the first time I have actually been excited about going to a theater in a long time. The filmmakers created a movie "experience" and for me it was just non-stop fun. This was the probably the only movie I felt I had to see in a theater instead of waiting for the DVD.

I hope the lack of response doesn't discourage filmmakers from taking risks with new ideas.

Overall, I enjoyed both movies and the trailers. Sure, there was lots of talking in DEATHPROOF and a lot of lines lifted from Tarrantino's other movies but all of his movies are like that. If you ever read his screenplays you could easily forget which one you are reading at times.

My father would have loved this movie if the language wasn't bad. Dad is great, he loves all the b grade horror movies with all the violence but he doesn't like bad language.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks