grill cloth and ports queston.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Michael, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

will i have trubble if i put a cloth grill like you find on many speakers over my ports on my sub?

2. Andrus_R

Andrus_R Stunt Coordinator

Ever notice how you never see any speakers with grill cloths over the ports?

3. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

That's not true. Most speakers with front firing ports have the ports covered by the grill.

The polk lsi series all have front firing ports that are covered by the grill.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=25

The B&W 601/602/603/802/803/804/805/HTM2/scm1/CDM/etc
    http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm?...0%20Series%203

and lots of other companies.

The thing about it on a sub is that there's gonna be alot of air moving in and out, more so that a bookshelf. Just like the wind coming through a screen, it will make a little bit of hiss. If you can live with that, then cover it, if not then dont. You could always just try it and see if you can hear it. Just streatch it over the hole and tape it down for a test drive. If the cloth makes noise, then take it off. As far as blocking sound, I tend to hear more diff's in the highs than the lows through a grill, but that might just be me.

4. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Bryan,

I think you just need to make sure that the cloth is "acoustically transparent." Basically this just means that the cloth does not impeed natural airflow. You can do a little test by blowing through the cloth onto your hand, and testing it without the cloth. If it feels the same then the cloth is ok to use, and I wouldn't worry about noise too much. Just a fyi, the speaker cloth I got from Parts Express does not appear to be totally acoustically transparent.

George

5. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

i was planing on using some from a local fabric shop. and if that is not the right stuff i will try other placeses. thanks for the replys. if i cant live with the grill i just might go with covers just for the speakers like the ones sold by kicker.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Radio Shack sells acoustically transparent grill cloth.

7. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Personally I don't think it's a good idea. It doesn't matter if you block mid and high frequencies coming through the port- they're not supposed to come through it anyway. However, anything you do to impede airflow through the port will damp the box and limit it's ability to act as a resonator- the whole reason it's built that way in the first place.
    Even if the fabric is acoustically transparent, it will impede airflow and hinder low-frequency (high wavelength) movement. This is why it's used in "pop filters" in front of microphones- it impedes fast movement of air.

8. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Once again, try it. This is alot of speculation. If grill cloth prevented airflow that much, Subs would never have grills. When the driver fires, it moves air in front of the cone that has to equal the air through the port because it's an open system. I personally dont think it will matter because I dont think the grill cloth will really stop the air flow or block the sound. Also I think that the amount of noise coming from the air through the cloth is so tiny compared to the volume of the bass you're putting out with that much displacement that you wont hear it, unless you're playing something subsonic and very loud, but there's not much like that recorded.

So.. just try it, and if it bothers you remove it. If you want to see without forking out the $12 at radio shack, grab a washrag/cheese cloth/panty hose/etc or something very porouse and hold/tape it over the port. It will give you an idea of what grill cloth would be like.