What's new

Grey's Anatomy - season 9 thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought I was done with this show, but I'm curious to see what havoc is wrought from the plane crash.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They've killed two characters I actually like. Now we're down to a lot of characters I pretty well dislike.
Kind of sums it all up for me.

I'll watch tonight, but if I watch this year, it's for MST3k sake.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Huge Gigantic Shark
Gigantic, enormous Shark.
Any more info you can provide? With Glee moving to Thursdays and Person of Interest already there, with my version of DISH I can only record two things, so I've dropped Grey's until repeat time. The show has always been a bit over the top, just curious what happened.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Here's the break down:
Lexi is dead.
Mark is now dead (this is pointed out basically in the first 5minutes though it stretches on)
There are other things
Derrick has a transplant hand (?) that doesn't seem to work correctly? (I'm waiting for us to find out it's the hand of a serial killer later or something) and he's still trying to be a neuro surgeon but it isn't working out
Christina is in Minnesota, but is terrified to get on a plane so she can't come back to Seattle (I guess she drove there?)
Grey is now viewed as "Medusa" to the interns
Bailey is now "booty call bailey" because she keeps sleeping with her BF in the closets, etc.

The end was a bit of a twist in a character you thought was dead who turns out not to be dead, which makes the beginning parts both ridiculous and kind of stupid.

There, you now know everything.
There is a new crop of interns. They are all super attractive waifish girls, with the add on of a few hunky guys.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oddly, given the amount of episodes to tie up all the loose ends to last season's finale, this season feels like they are moving the core older cast to the sidelines, and bringing up this new crop of recruits, recycling the intern plotlines from the past, while keeping some of the other lesser subplots with the older cast simmering along.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/324056/greys-anatomy-season-9-thread#post_4010993
Oddly, given the amount of episodes to tie up all the loose ends to last season's finale, this season feels like they are moving the core older cast to the sidelines, and bringing up this new crop of recruits, recycling the intern plotlines from the past, while keeping some of the other lesser subplots with the older cast simmering along.

Yes, this seems to say to me they've decided to go to the ER method.. we'll just get rid of everyone from before at some point, and new people move in.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Yes, this seems to say to me they've decided to go to the ER method.. we'll just get rid of everyone from before at some point, and new people move in.
Just watched the show for the first time since the plane crash. Barely noticed the lack of some of the earlier major characters.
Not sure how it works with contracts and all that, but could also be a way of cutting the budget to let the show continue.
Just pulling numbers out of a hat, but if the new characters are making $50K-$100K an episode, compared to some of the "star" salaries of $400K+, it just makes sense to lose some of the higher paid cast.
Being an ensemble show like ER, other than maybe Meridith and Sheppard, it's pretty easy to introduce new characters and leave others behind.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Just watched the show for the first time since the plane crash. Barely noticed the lack of some of the earlier major characters.
Not sure how it works with contracts and all that, but could also be a way of cutting the budget to let the show continue.
Just pulling numbers out of a hat, but if the new characters are making $50K-$100K an episode, compared to some of the "star" salaries of $400K+, it just makes sense to lose some of the higher paid cast.
Being an ensemble show like ER, other than maybe Meridith and Sheppard, it's pretty easy to introduce new characters and leave others behind.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Why do I get the feeling that "the doctors buy the hospital" is a plotline I've seen somewhere before? Or did I just get horribly spoiled during the summer period and some promo material explicitly said that they were going to buy the hospital? The point being I wasn't surprised when it worked out that way.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
This show has dropped off my viewing schedule. It has always been overly dramatic and far fetched, but now they seem to keep going into soap opera territory. Ridiculous, over the top, unbelievable story lines that just don't pass in the "real" world. Doctor Who can get away with so much because it's sci-fi, but this show passed the reality premise long ago. I think they crossed the line with the shooter killing off a few characters and shooting Derek a few years back. It was actually done fairly well, but the place would have been storming with cops within minutes, instead it ends up basically deserted as the shooter wanders the entire hospital and does his thing. Dramatic, but very unrealistic. I think they've continued down that road with outrageous stories that just aren't believable any longer.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was weird to have them cast Sarah Chalke (from "Scrubs") as a mom who was sure her son was going through something that other doctors weren't diagnosing properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks