What's new

Apple TV+ Greyhound (2020) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw it over the weekend and I gotta day, RCR, I think you’d appreciate it. I agree that the Apple+ service doesn’t have as much as you’d expect it should, but for $5 a month, it’s well worth that price to see the movie and then cancel. Whenever you get around to it, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Travis, the service is now available on non-Apple devices should you ever wish to check it out.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I've heard good things about it. I suspect I'll enjoy it when I subscribe here shortly.

Out of curiosity, is the CGI better in the movie itself? The trailer I watched didn't do such a great job at looking believable. It looked more like a pre-release CGI rendered promotional trailer for the online multiplayer game World of Warships than anything else.

Too bad the art of using scale models died decades ago. Some incredible things happened in that area with classic navy movies from Hollywood's golden age. I'd love to see a blending of those skills if they were extant, combined with modern technology like CGI.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
For me, I refuse to buy AppleTV right now. I might do so down the road when they have more programming I'm interested in seeing as part of my problem is I have too much stuff to watch right now with other streaming services.

I have it free for the next two years due to a Mac purchase and and iPad Pro purchase, and I still haven't bothered to watch anything on it. Maybe I'll watch this at some point.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This was too short and half baked. Needed more dialog and reflection.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm surprised at how little discussion and/or opinions of this film is occurring. People are not into WWII movies anymore? Or do most people not have ATV so it just is not being seen?
Maybe because the movie is not that great?! ;) I love WWII movies. Can't get enought of them.
You get one big action scene from start to end. They don't try to explain to you the stuff and make you feel you are there. It's the same thing and dialog over and over and you just don't feel anything. This movie along with Artemis Fowl made me struggle with falling asleep. However it was less severe.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe because the movie is not that great?! ;) I love WWII movies. Can't get enought of them.
You get one big action scene from start to end. They don't try to explain to you the stuff and make you feel you are there. It's the same thing and dialog over and over and you just don't feel anything. This movie along with Artemis Fowl made me struggle with falling asleep. However it was less severe.
Well, you're the first person in this thread to give this movie a bad rating.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are more reviews on IMDB and other rating sites that have the same opinion. I completly agree with them. Repeating the same naval commands again and again is not exciting unless you care for the characters and understand the situation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are more reviews on IMDB and other rating sites that have the same opinion. I completly agree with them. Repeating the same naval commands again and again is not exciting unless you care for the characters and understand the situation.
I don't care about IMDB or other rating sites. I trust the people here more than those anonymous sources. Well, I trust most people here.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
GREYHOUND
Critics Consensus
Greyhound's characters aren't as robust as its action sequences, but this fast-paced World War II thriller benefits from its efficiently economical approach.
79%
TOMATOMETER
Total Count: 179
77%
AUDIENCE SCORE
User Ratings: 822

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I found the film to be about average.it wasn't terrible; however, nothing to really write home about either.

The action was fine but there really wasn't much drama to tie it all together in terms of getting into the heads of the Captain and crew. There really wasn't much in the way of acting in the film and a story thread, involving the mess mate Cleveland fell totally flat emotionally. That part of the story was so underdeveloped that Hank's supposed connection to the man just fell flat on its face.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
So, some people admit they would have paid $10-$20 for a movie ticket to see it in a theater but won’t spend $5 for a month of Apple TV+ to see it at home because there’s nothing else to watch on Apple TV+? ???

:blink::rolleyes::oops:

Mark

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have to admit I’m drawing the line at renting a movie for $20, even though I might spend that or more in the theater. I just can’t make myself rent for $20. I’m a subscriber to ATV+ but would have subscribed for a month to see Greyhound.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just finished watching it for the first time and thought it was good. Would make a good double feature with The Enemy Below (1957) and i hope it will show up on disc soon.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
An above average WWII thriller scripted by and starring Tom Hanks as a Naval Commander who has to lead his troops aboard the Greyhound destroyer. Commander Ernest Krause has to traverse the Mid-Atlantic for 50 hours before getting air cover.

Hank's script (based on a C.S. Forester novel) is terse and to the point. Other than a brief prologue where the Commander bids adieu to his fiancee (Elisabeth Shue), the viewer is aboard the ship with Krause and his men. There is little room for character development, although Hanks and Director Aaron Schneider give us snatches of the seamen's humanity. Commander Krause is portrayed as a deeply moral man who even mourns the passing of his German enemy soldiers.

The cast is good, even in the smallest parts, but what carries it is the solid Production including the Oscar nominated sound design (you'll want to crank up the volume). The only major quibble here is that the numerous deck scenes on the ship rarely convince that the crew is truly out in open water.

At a trim 83 minutes (sans credits), GREYHOUND is a modern (and more expensive) version of the many B War films of the 40s and 50s. And, a fairly decent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks