Greyhound (2020)

LeoA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not a current day movie follower, but wanted to see this one despite not being a CGI fan. Has anything been said about belated theatrical showings when this threat hopefully retreats and people can again feel reasonably safe going into public spaces?

Or should I just plan to pick up the Blu-Ray release as a blind buy when it releases, with theaters unlikely to dive back into months old films?

I would think with production presumably at a standstill, there's an opportunity for films that missed their release but are ready to go, when theaters do reopen. But this streaming deal seems like it potentially could prevent that with this particular film.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There will not be a theatrical release; Sony sold the rights to Apple in lieu of a release, which means any physical media release would also be delayed.

The best and simplest way to view the film is to subscribe to the Apple+ streaming service. It’s only $4.99 a month, which is less than the cost of a single disc or movie theater ticket. Simply subscribe for one month, view the film, and then cancel.

• Sad
Reactions: LeoA

LeoA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That's too bad. Thanks for the information though.

While I'm glad I can see it for $5, do we actually have confirmation that a delayed Blu-Ray release will still eventually be in the cards for it? Or is a physical release potentially up in the air entirely at this point because of this deal?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t know what the specific deal for this movie was but in the past when Sony has licensed content to streaming companies, they’ve retained home video rights after an exclusive window. But if I had to guess - and it’s just a guess - it will probably be longer than you’d wait if it was from theaters to disc.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For reference, Criterion released Roma on disc +/- 14 months after it was released on Netflix.

Now, I'm not saying that Criterion would release Greyhound or that Netflix is involved. But I think this could give us a general idea. Considering that Apple paid for the rights to have Greyhound exclusively, I think Josh is right to expect they will want to retain that exclusivity for a while. It seems that this is the highest-profile new thing on their streaming service so far, and they'll want to use it as a subscription driver. I'd guess that by the time their exclusive window ends, they will try their best to have have some other buzzy new film to take its place as an exclusive.

Although I would have liked this to have a theatrical release, when you pause and think about it, moving it to streaming was probably the smartest thing they could do right now. This, as an adult-skewing drama, would have been targeting an audience of older people who are more susceptible to the virus. I don't think Tenet or Mulan should come out right now either, but those films are going to attract a younger audience than Greyhound likely would have. It was more financially responsible for Sony to take a big check from Apple than to risk putting this out when the target audience is not likely to show up.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
FYI - CNBC reported that Apple has the exclusive rights to Greyhound for 15 years...
I have to assume that means exclusive streaming rights. Sony would have been foolish not to carve out the right for them to still release it on disc later. If they don't do that, they get a one-time payment from Apple. If they did keep the disc rights, then they get a second chance to make a little money on the movie. We'll see what happens, of course, but I wouldn't have sold away my option to release a disc down the line.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Apple paying $70 million for an only so so movie which cost $40 million to make ,does not make much sense to me.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Why not?

They don't have a ton of buzzy original content. It's a big movie with one of the world's biggest movie stars that was done and ready to go and could bring eyeballs and new signups to their streaming service. It's not like they don't have the money.

Reactions: benbess and Tino

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My guess is that the extra $30 million involved buying out the backend participation that Hanks would have likely had based on the final gross of a theatrical run. What they are doing is not giving it a theatrical run; therefore, there will be no gross to use to calculate backend profits.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Apple paying $70 million for an only so so movie which cost $40 million to make ,does not make much sense to me.
First, IMHO, it’s an excellent film. Second if Apple calculates they can make their money back, it’s a good deal. Apple is a young streaming service and needs to put it’s name on the streaming map.

Finally, what does make sense these days? As the song from Hamilton says (I think it’s an actual song of the era) the world has been turned upside down.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
Apple obviously thought 70 mil for a mediocre film was worth it and SONY figured if APPLE was willing to pay that much for it then it was a sure way to turn a profit on the thing.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
I'm surprised at how little discussion and/or opinions of this film is occurring. People are not into WWII movies anymore? Or do most people not have ATV so it just is not being seen?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I'm surprised at how little discussion and/or opinions of this film is occurring. People are not into WWII movies anymore? Or do most people not have ATV so it just is not being seen?
For me, I refuse to buy AppleTV right now. I might do so down the road when they have more programming I'm interested in seeing as part of my problem is I have too much stuff to watch right now with other streaming services.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Apple TV would be my guess. I'd have seen this day one if it was in a theater (and there wasn't a pandemic) but if Apple has it for 15 years, I don't know when or if I'll ever see it.

All these streaming services are going to make it harder and harder for movies and shows to be seen by an audience. I know people will tell me I'm wrong but I think exclusivity is absolutely going to damage movies and TV in the future. There's no way that people will pay to have a number of streaming services and great movies or shows will go unseen because of that. How many times has someone told you or you told someone about a really great movie or TV show and you or they haven't seen it because you or they don't have Netflix or DIsney + or Hulu or HBO or whatever? The more streaming services they make and the more movies and shows go exclusive to them, the worse it will get.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Apple TV would be my guess. I'd have seen this day one if it was in a theater (and there wasn't a pandemic) but if Apple has it for 15 years, I don't know when or if I'll ever see it.

All these streaming services are going to make it harder and harder for movies and shows to be seen by an audience. I know people will tell me I'm wrong but I think "exclusivity" is going to really damage movies and TV in the future. There's no way that people will pay to have a number of streaming services and great movies or shows will go unseen because of that. How many times has someone told you or you told someone about a really great movie or TV show and you or they haven't seen it because you or they don't have Netflix or DIsney + or Hulu or HBO or whatever?
I wouldn't mind paying $5 for one month to watch some stuff on AppleTV, but right now it's kind of limited as to programs I'm really have an interest. Perhaps, down the road I'll change my mind as it's only $5 especially considering my spending on other entertainment alternatives.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't mind paying $5 for one month to watch some stuff on AppleTV, but right now it's kind of limited as to programs I'm really have an interest. Perhaps, down the road I'll change my mind as it's only $5 especially considering my spending on other entertainment alternatives.
There's definitely things that I would pay to see (I've got Disney + solely because I want the Star Wars content) but it's the smaller things like Greyhound that I may enjoy but probably won't end up seeing because I have no interest in paying to see it on a computer.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
There's definitely things that I would pay to see (I've got Disney + solely because I want the Star Wars content) but it's the smaller things like Greyhound that I may enjoy but probably won't end up seeing because I have no interest in paying to see it on a computer.
Let me say I have three 4KATV units so I'm talking about Apple's streaming service and not their hardware.

Reactions: Edwin-S and TravisR

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metlerdavid