Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Title: Gretel & Hansel

Genre: Horror, Fantasy

Director: Oz Perkins

Cast: Sophia Lillis, Sammy Leakey, Charles Babalola, Alice Krige, Ian Kenny, Abdul Alshareef, Jessica De Gouw

Release: 2020-01-30

Plot: A long time ago in a distant fairy tale countryside, a young girl leads her little brother into a dark wood in desperate search of food and work, only to stumble upon a nexus of terrifying evil.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They showed the trailer for this before my "IT: Chapter 2" showing. I never watched my 3-D disc of "Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters" (2013) starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton. I think I'll do that as my second selection this week for my 3-D Challenge.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I never watched my 3-D disc of "Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters" (2013) starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton. I think I'll do that as my second selection this week for my 3-D Challenge.
Loved that film, but also have not yet watched it in 3D. I'd thought a sequel was planned, but haven't heard much about it. I think it was originally planned for a 2016 release, but seems to have been delayed or shelved. I'd imagine Jeremy Renner has been busy with Marvel stuff.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
They just HAD to change the title of the fairy tale to fit the "modern emphasis".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They just HAD to change the title of the fairy tale to fit the "modern emphasis".
According to director in an interview, the title was changed because this version focuses on Gretel, who is older: "It's awfully faithful to the original story. It's got really only three principal characters: Hansel, Gretel, and the Witch. We tried to find a way to make it more of a coming of age story. I wanted Gretel to be somewhat older than Hansel, so it didn't feel like two twelve-year-olds -- rather a sixteen-year-old and an eight-year-old. There was more of a feeling like Gretel having to take Hansel around everywhere she goes, and how that can impede one's own evolution, how our attachments and the things that we love can sometimes get in the way of our growth."

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looks like it'll be practically mainstream compared to Oz Perkins' previous movies.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Loved that film, but also have not yet watched it in 3D. I'd thought a sequel was planned, but haven't heard much about it. I think it was originally planned for a 2016 release, but seems to have been delayed or shelved. I'd imagine Jeremy Renner has been busy with Marvel stuff.

I thought the 2013 movie was a flop - and indeed, it didn't do much business in the US.

But overseas more than compensated! $226m on a $50m budget is pretty good!

Terrible movie, though!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought the 2013 movie was a flop - and indeed, it didn't do much business in the US.

But overseas more than compensated! $226m on a $50m budget is pretty good!

Terrible movie, though!
Yes, it was a moderate hit worldwide, and there were definite plans for a sequel at the time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They showed the trailer for this before my "IT: Chapter 2" showing. I never watched my 3-D disc of "Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters" (2013) starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton. I think I'll do that as my second selection this week for my 3-D Challenge.
Now, I'm definitely watching it this week!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No doubt, this evil trend to increase the emphasis of women in stories will destroy all of civilization.
If I'm not mistaken wasn't it Gretel that tricked the witch in the first place
and shoved her into the oven.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched my 3-D disc this morning and I found it very entertaining as I laughed out a couple of times. I'm going to try to watch the unrated version too as I know it's probably more graphic, but the film is already has enough graphic violence.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If the emphasis is on Gretel then they should have just called it Gretel: And some other kid.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks