Gremlins DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeEckman, Sep 1, 2001.

1. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Since I got my DVD player in spring 2000, I always wanted to own Gremlins, and by the time I was ready to buy it, I had heard rumors that Warner was going to re-release it as an SE, so I held off. This spring, they announced a release date of 8/21, but then it was announced, it was just going to be a reissue of the already existing disc with new packaging.
    I already owned Beetlejuice on DVD, and that movies transfer was pretty good, and since both of these discs were originally made around the same time and were both anamorphically enhanced, I figured the two would be the same in quality.
    Now although Im happy with the transfer of Beetlejuice, I wanted to say that Gremlins doesnt look very good at all. The print is moderately clean, but the whole thing appears washed out. Theres no such thing as black in this movie, every dark scene is either blue or brown. I even detected a few scenes where the picture is jittery for a few seconds, almost like the kind of jitter a film projector displays.
    The sound is servicable (considering its an early 5.1 remix), but Im more concerned with picture quality. I dont know what this would look like on a larger 16x9 TV, but it looks almost terrible on my 27 inch regular analog NTSC TV. This disc is in sore need of a remake and a new transfer. I dont require supplements, although it would be nice....but this movie certainly deserves better. Anyone care to start up a petition?! [​IMG]

2. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

A petition for a SE would be nice. But right now I would be happy just to get part 2 out on DVD, (SE or not).

3. AdrianOC

AdrianOC Stunt Coordinator

My thoughts exactly - where the hell is part 2?????
    ------------------
    "Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
    My DVD List