Gregg Loewen - A Master of His Craft

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brajesh Upadhyay, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Gregg has already gotten so much praise for his calibration work that what I'm going to say isn't going to be very revealing. Not that that's going to stop me. [​IMG]
    Gregg calibrated my 53" Panasonic HDTV about 1 1/2 months ago. This is the first time I've had a TV calibrated. He spent 5+ hours optimizing & tweaking my set exhaustively as others have reported. He explained everything he was doing along the way (even if some things went above my head). We talked about our obsessive hobby that is home theater & joked about stuff. It was great to talk HT tech & not feel like I was talking jargon (like I do with most of my friends & guests). I had a fun time & ended with a TV that looked fantastic. Greeg told me my TV was among the 20 best he'd ever seen out of the box. Yet, post-calibration, my wife & I noticed greater clarity, better rendered colors & more lifelike images like we'd never seen from our TV before (or any TV we've owned for that matter).
    Gregg left. A week later, I noticed that my TV had a speedbump anomaly in its 480i/p mode. I called Gregg & he kindly agreed to stop by my place yesterday on his current east-coast tour. I made a 480i/p plastic grid overlay before Gregg came. He fixed the my TV's speedbump anomaly by re-converging 480i/p to the grid overlay. He was done in just an hour. My TV is perfection now! To top it off, Gregg didn't charge me anything extra to perform this fix.
    Greeg said he likes to take care of his fellow HTF'ers. How true! Thanks much Gregg. We're enjoying our TV to the max thanks to your terrific work! [​IMG]

2. Chris Chang

Chris Chang Stunt Coordinator

Is it worth getting your TV calibrated now if you are planning to move in a couple years? I'm guessing that moving the tv around could screw around with the convergence/geometry.

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

You'd need to touch up convergence, but I plan to do that every 4 months or so anyway. Your grayscale & other tweaks should remain intact I'm guessing.

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Brajesh,
    Gregg will be at my house the day after tomorrow.....can't wait!! He will be calibrating my 3 month old Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD. My Elite has a great picture on it now, and I am greatly anticipating the improvements he will make.
    He told me that the Elite's tweak out nicely, but that I won't see as much change as some other brands. The way I look at it is this:..I paid big money to buy what I believe is the best RPTV on the market, so I want the best possible picture that this set can produce!!
    It's good to hear reassuring comments about Gregg's work!![​IMG]

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Alan,

Could you please post your after ISF calibration thougts when Gregg is finished? I will be picking up my new Elite 530 in a few weeks and am interested in how much of a difference an ISF would make on an Elite. Thanks!

6. Alan Pummill

Greg,

I'll be happy to post post-calibration comments!! Have fun with your new Elite!!

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Brajesh Upadhyay i was wondering how you made the grid.
    i have some bumps when i watch full mode dvd's and hdtv on my tosh 56x81 that greg did a great job calibrating in the past summer.

8. Brajesh Upadhyay

Tony, I made the grid from measurements I got from JohnnyG, a fellow HTF'er & Canadian Panny dealer. He sent me a PDF file for my Panny (SD mode), which I got Kinko's to print out on a very large sheet of paper (they charged ~$7). I then bought clear plastic (acetate) sheet from dickblick.com (~$20) & traced the grid lines with a black marker using the Kinko's printout.
    You may be able to buy grid overlays from pacparts.com. They (or Panasonic) didn't carry overlays for my Panny, so I had to make my own. It's not hard if you have the proper measurements.

9. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    My understanding is the Elites come very good out of the box which is why you won't see as dramatic an inprovement as say a panasonic set when ISF calibrated. Which is probably part of why elites are so expensive to begin with.

10. Alan Pummill

Gregg is working on my Elite right now. He as been very forthcoming with descriptions of the various task that he is doing. I think he is about half way completed with my set.

Can't wait to see the end results!!

11. Alan Pummill

Gregg finished up a couple of hours ago!! OH MY GAWD...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yes, the improvement is worth three thumbs up!! I was happy with the way my Elite looked before, but now I know what a ISF calibration can accomplish.
    The first thing he did was get it in focus. He said it was out fairly bad. He took care of any over scan problems and centered the picture. He spent several hours adjusting the geometry, gray scale, color, and convergence.
    Gregg did not stop for well over four hours. I threw him a sandwich and he just kept on working. He was very thorough, and printed out a pre and post gray scale color temperature read-out. I would highly recommend his services to any and all who want their display device to yield the best possible picture that it can.
    Great job, Gregg!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Thanks for the update Alan. I am glad you are more pleased with your set. I purchased an Elite 530 last week but will not be able to pick it up until next month. I have also sent you a private message Alan, if you get a chance soon please check it. Thanks and congrats.

Greg