Greg & Michael TLV - YOUR opinions on Toshiba's H81 vs HX81

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Jan 20, 2002.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I know the differences in specifications between these two.

I know that one has a less reflective screen (although, I'm wondering if that makes a difference if you remove the H81's screen anyway).

I've heard other's opinions; now I'm asking the folks who work on them daily getting the best picture possible out of them. Is it the HX81 worth the extra couple hundred bucks?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ive worked on both, and quite honestly cant tell a difference. FWIW, Michael is not recommending this year's Tosh. Ive seen the ghosting problem which is very annoying, Im guessing it is a mis directed edge enhancement problem. If Toshiba will fix it in the future (somehow - perhaps release the appropriate ADDR codes?) Id buy this set in a heart beat.
    Also consider the Panny.
    Check out http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm where Michael has a run down of this recommendations.
    Regards
    Gregg

3. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

I personally prefer the H80 over either the H81 or HX81. My problem with the H81 isn't ghosting though, it's the idiotic decision to upconvert to 540p.