greetings "jedi" audiophiles, a couple questions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ron Daily, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Ron Daily

Ron Daily Extra

First i would like to say hello to everyone here. I have been reading the board for some time and have learned quite a bit from you all. I currently have an onkyo tx-sr601,a kenwood single cd player and a pair of polk rti38 bookshelfs on 31" stands behind my L shaped computer desk with a polk ps-202 sub hooked up to the output on my computers sound card so i can have real sound for watching dvd,s on the computer and for gaming. I use this setup 80% for music and do not have any surrounds or center speakers yet. After reading all the great reviews i plan on getting a svs 20-39 pc+ to put in the corner of my 12x15 computer room. that will put the sub about 5 feet away from my comp desk. I love the sound of the polks but have not heard anyone mention them here. I have heard the ascend and axiom speakers reccomended often so i am wondering before i buy a set of polk rti-70 towers to use for mains and move my bookshelfs to the rear for surrounds should i consider the ascends or axioms for mains and use the polks for surround? Also, would my onkyo have enough power to drive the ascends or axioms ok? My budget is not the largest but i could do the cbm-170 or m22ti bookshelfs and maybe the m60ti towers.I would appreciate any advice you could give me. I think the polks sound very good but maybe i have just been in a cave for too long and need to experience what better speakers sound like. thanks, i look forward to the opinions of true "jedi" audiophiles. take care, Ron

2. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

What's a "jedi" audiophile?

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I think it's a compliment saying that we are skilled sort of like "grand master" or something. Anyways it's generally not recommended that you use different speaker brands since they all sound different so when sound goes from one channel to the next it will have a different characteristic or timbre (pronounced tamber) and will not sound as natural. I don't know really anything about either the receiver or speakers but I don't see why there'd be a problem pairing them up. I'm sure the Onkyo can drive any of the above speakers to your satisfaction.

Daniel Smith

4. Rus Bowisc

Rus Bowisc Stunt Coordinator

I use RTi-70's for both music and video, and I love 'em. I feel that for the money, you get a nice setup. The mids seem to be their best attributes; very clear, definied mid-range. Highs are great for my taste. The low-end seems a bit "anemic", but if you look at specs, you'll see they're not intended on playing LF stuff and excell their.

Of course, results will vary depending on the other components in your signal chain, as well as the room they will play in.

Rus

5. Ron Daily

Ron Daily Extra

thanks for the advice guys. the "jedi" audiophile star wars reference was my attempt at humor meaning that i consider alot of you here masters and very skilled when it comes to audio and h/t. I understand the importance of matching the speakers but wonder how the polks would match up to the ascend or axiom speakers.if they are very inferior then i would not hesitate to replace them.I also have another stupid question. Due to my system being set up in one area of my basement which does not have power outlets i have been forced to run 20 foot extensions cords to power my equipment. do you think this will cause a major problem with powering the svs 20-39pc+ until i can get outlets installed? thanks again! Ron [​IMG]

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I guess it depends. Are you powering all of your equipment on one extention cord or more? I certainly would put the sub and your receiver on separate cords. If you have to put them on one extention cord, make sure your extention cord has the proper AWG. I would go with at least 14AWG grounded extention cord just to make sure you're not overpowering the cord rating power-wise. Don't use those cheapy 18AWG twin lead cords.

The CD player doesn't take much power so you can put that on either circuit or you can use the cheapy twin lead mentioned above.[​IMG]

Bob

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter