Greetings and suffering midrange on SACD w/Energy Take 5s..

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterChenoweth, Oct 20, 2003.

1. PeterChenoweth

PeterChenoweth Auditioning

Greetings! This is my first post here, so hello to all! I've been hanging around for a little bit and this seems like a great group of Home Theater enthusiasts.

Just looking for a little advice on what to do with my current setup.

I've got a Pioneer Elite 43TX powering a set of Energy Take 5 speakers (L,R,C,LR,RR) and a Kenwood 10" sub (via dedicated sub-out RCA jack, not wired in-line with the main speakers). I have a Sony DVP-NC650V as my DVD/CD/SACD source. The crossover is set correctly in the receiver, and it's doing a fantastic job of directing the bass to the sub. Sources processed by the receiver (DVD, CD, etc) are sounding great, with adequate (not fantastic) midrange. My problem is with bass/midrange from the SACD player using the 5.1 preamp outputs. The Sony has bass management, but it just really doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot. I'm missing a lot of warmth in the midrange, especially with classical and jazz music.

Now I know that the Energy's aren't the best at midrange, so that's a big part of the problem I'm sure. How should I proceed in enhancing the midrange of my system?

I've thought about getting a second sub, perhaps Energy's own S8.2 and wiring it inline with the main speakers, leaving my Kenwood really only for LFE effects. Then I could just set the main speakers as large and let the sub do the crossover for all music, which would obviously fix the SACD problem. Would this help my problem at all?

Thanks for any advice/input!!

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I was in the same position as you. Basically, I believe it to be a limitation of the little speakers. While they may be rated down to 90Hz, they wane well before that frequency. I don't think that a sub would do a good job of "filling" in the frequency hole, since you'd have to set your crossover high (120Hz or more), and then all sorts of good music would be redirected to the sub, and it would sound like crap. Sorry for the run on sentence.

If you're serious about getting good SACD music, you really need to consider upgrading the fronts to something more musical. Personally, I upgraded the front three speakers to Paradigm Studios, and am using the 4 matched Take speakers as surrounds for 7.1. They blend quite nicely, but I'm not too picky.

Regards,
    Martin.

3. PeterChenoweth

Thanks for the reply! Good point, I suppose since my receiver can handle 7.1 that it's time to retire a pair of the Take 5's to serve as rear channels and buy new mains [​IMG].

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You are most likely not getting bass management on SACD. Most SACD and DVD-A players do not have bass management. (yours does for DVD though). So your mains are getting a full range signal. You solution is probably your best option. That or get new speakers.

5. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Great point Brian.

Peter,

To find out where you stand, why don't you do some critical two channel listening (use a CD and your DVD player, for example), with bass management on so you can see if you notice the same midrange issue. If you're happy with the sound with 2 channel, you can attack the SACD bass management issue without necessarily requiring new speakers - getting an ICBM for example.

Having said that, I really believe the Take 5 speakers to be lacking when it comes to music. Great for HT, of course.

Martin.

6. PeterChenoweth

The SACD/DVD/CD player does do bass management with SACD's. If I set the 5 channels to -5db and the sub to +10db then it does help the situation- I can clearly hear the difference. Unfortunately if I leave it like this some SACDs' bass is way overboosted. The midrange still isn't the best. The crossover is set (@ 80hz, according to the manual) in the SACD/DVD/CD player, and I think that is the problem, it's leaving a pretty big hole from 80-~150hz that the Take 5's just can't handle.

7. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

What crossover options does the SACD player have?

8. PeterChenoweth

I was editing my post to include that the crossover is fixed in the SACD player while you were replying [​IMG].

9. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Yup....looks like you found your problem.