greenish-yellow tint when watching DVD's...the player,TV, cables,etc..?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonnie M, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Jonnie M

Jonnie M Agent

When playing DVD's lately the picture will just begin to turn greenish-yellow and you can see it gradually get worse. I'm guessing its got to be the DVD player, which is a 2 year old Sony DVP-S550 (something like that) cause this hasn't occurred when watching cable and its now happening every time i watch a disc. The first time it happened i figured it was that specific disc but after 10 others, well it just doesn't seem likely. It will go away for about 15 mins. if i unhook the component video cables and then reconnect, and being that i'm not using cables of high quality i wasn't sure if that could be the cause? I just figured before i bought a new DVD player i would make sure thats the problem and run it by some more experienced HT owners.
    I didn't really know what to search under so i apologize if this is frequently asked. Any feedback would be great or a link to another thread that has covered this.
    Thanks,
    Jon

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the DVD player, although it certainly could be at fault.
    What makes me curious is the part where you say the problem goes away for awhile if you unplug the component cables. I doubt the problem is the cables themselves, but there could be something wrong with the component inputs of your TV.
    You need to work to isolate where the problem is. Try connecting your DVD player with an s-video cable. You probably also need to connect the player to another TV with component cables to see if it's the player. And ideally, you need to connect another DVD player to your TV's component inputs. Do you have a friend who has a DVD player with component outputs?
    Somewhere along the line this will let you know if the problem is with the player, the component inputs of your TV or the cables themselves.

3. Jonnie M

Jonnie M Agent

Thanks for the advice Ken, i have another player i can get my hands on with component outputs so i'll give that a shot... right after the Yanks game, of course. [​IMG] I'll post after i check it out.
    I have Sony Wega 36XBR400 and was just curious if anyone has had or knows of any problems with the component inputs on the TV?