What's new

Green Lantern, please tell me it's not true!!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well they wanted to ruin the 6 million Dollar man with Jim Carey so why not this? But they won't get my money for Catwoman and they won't get my money for this.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I have no idea if this movie will be good, bad or indifferent.

But there are many, many people who have casual knowledge of Green Lantern and even more who have heard the name, but who care nothing for purity. As Gabe ;points out, name recognition is a big thing.

No one would make any movie for a small subset of ‘hard-core’ fans of relatively obscure ‘cult’ figures. And as already been pointed out, there are plenty of instances where drastic alterations did not kill the ‘brand’.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
The fact of the matter is that DC/Warner needs that core audience to build up hype and anticipation for the movie. If people like me aren't talking about the GREEN LANTERN movie (if, indeed, I am trashing the entire concept) who the heck will build buzz and word of mouth for it?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

Advertising will do a lot. It will get people like my wife, who goes with her friends to most comic, character-based movies of this type if they get reasonable reviews. So if it is (in reviews eyes) another Spiderman she (and others like her) will be there. If it is a bust she won’t be—but going or not going will have nothing to do with how accurately the movie reflects the source, nor how much buzz is created on the internet.

I have no data to back this up, but I think lots of people have heard of the Green Lantern and very few of those care much at all about detail.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My concern is they make the movie as a comedy, the movie is a hit, and then they change the comic book to try to reflect the movie to get more readers. It always seems to happen when they make movies out of comis.

The thing that I don't get, like a lot of people out there don't either, is that if a character in a comic book is writen interestingly enough to last 30-40 years, than why does it need any reinvention to be a good movie? all they have to do is take the story, boil it down to the essentials, and than try to stay pure to the ource material. All the "good" superhero movies have done this.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it,s me, but I have never thought of Green Lantern as a comedy. I don't think it will work and Adam Sandler's "acting" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

As for The Six Million Dollar Man being made into a comedy,it would not be my first thought. As a fan of the show when it originally aired, I guess I see it in that genre. That being said, there is also a part of me that thinks if anyone could pull this off, it would be Jim Carrey.

I just wish these people would treat the comic books they want to turn into films in the same light they were written in.

Just my opinion.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

You mean, like it got people to HULK, and (i'm betting) the forthcoming CATWOMAN, all movies that did or look to deviate from their source material?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I mean that it will create awareness, Chris. Since you had posted that only the hard-core fans could create the ‘buzz’ (or awareness) necessary to generate interest in the movie, I was just pointing out that there are other methods.

That advertising creates awareness is unquestionable. But it still won’t get many people to see a bad moive. The same would be true of the hardcore fans. A movie could be faithful to its comic book source, down to the last detail and if it were a bad movie I think that no more people would go see it than the two you mention.

BTW, I quite liked The Hulk and was disappointed at its overall reception by the public.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
I liked the HULK too, Lew.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think we can point to a single, successful comic book movie that was UNFAITHFUL to its source material. At least I cannot think of any of the top of my head.

And if you accept this assertion as true, then you have to ask why? And I think the reason is that if you betray your core audience, then it's not going to appeal to anyone else either.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Well, AICN is reporting that this project is a go from WB with Jack Black as a lead.

Here is the link and since this is from AICN who knows if this is true or not.

Link

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The suits at Warner Brothers are real morons. At least DC fought to prevent this. DC needs someone like an Avi Arad or Stan Lee to oversee the properties and make sure this doesn't happen. :angry:

Also, sucess or failure. This will destroy any chance of a real GL movie or tv show for years to come.

Britton

Screenwriter
Argh, I was just thinking recently how you could do a 6 movie saga of Green Lantern that would have a lot in common with the Star Wars saga.

Film 1: Hal Jordan gets the ring and learning the ropes. The villian in this would be Sinestro.
Film 2: The villian will be the Mongul and the movie ends in a cliffhanger with Coast City being nuked.
Film 3: Emerald Twilight. You just adapt that story and end it with Kyle Rayner getting the ring.
Film 4: Kyle learns the ropes and must fight the Mongul who is out for revenge.
Film 5: Kyle decides to rebuild the GL Corps perhaps. Haven't give this one a lot of thought.
Film 6: Hal Jordan returns as an enemy at first, but it ends with Jordan sacrificing his life and the rebirth of the Green Lantern Corps.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Allow me to recycle a bit of text I posted yesterday in the Superman thread)(http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...6&pagenumber=6

How applicable...

Unfortunately, our idea of "tongue-in-cheek" usually equates to a studio exec's reality of "someting-in-something else" (think cranium & rectum), and the next think you know, Halle Berry is Catwoman Adam Sandler Jack Black is Green Lantern.

Britton, I love your idea. Unfortunately, I fear that it's too smart & involving a story to pass off on the WB execs.

Moe.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
Anybody who read the Green Lantern comic books knows that Jack Black could never be Hal Jordan nor Kyle Rayner and since when was Green Lantern situations ever "slaptick" comedy or "tongue in cheek". Can somebody explain this to me?

Nothing against Black since I like him as a comedic actor however this is going to be a very bad decision for him just like Halle Berry turn in Catwoman.

What's WB execs thinking???

I really hope that AICN is wrong and this never come to pass.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
You know what will happen, don't you? When Berry as Catwoman=flop, and Black as GL=flop, they'll conclude it's the comics book idea that failed, not their concepts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks