Green Lantern, please tell me it's not true!!!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
*spills more tar on Gabe*

Seriously, this is pretty much one of the worst ideas I've heard for a comic-to-movie adaptation. Worse than "Constantine" and "Catwoman".

I mean, if it was Plastic-Man, I would understand the comedy angle. But Green Lantern? WTF? (Although I must admit Sandler might make a passable Guy Gardner.
)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
*spills more tar on Gabe*

Seriously, this is pretty much one of the worst ideas I've heard for a comic-to-movie adaptation. Worse than "Constantine" and "Catwoman".

I mean, if it was Plastic-Man, I would understand the comedy angle. But Green Lantern? WTF? (Although I must admit Sandler might make a passable Guy Gardner.
)

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is just an ugly rumor. Sandler doesn't need a franchise and Green Lantern is about as straight laced a superhero as there is. Do the Denny O'Neill/Neal Adams stories and I'll be happy.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is just an ugly rumor. Sandler doesn't need a franchise and Green Lantern is about as straight laced a superhero as there is. Do the Denny O'Neill/Neal Adams stories and I'll be happy.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Over at the DC Comics boards. People are not convinced. Especially, since this Millar guy is having a beef with DC/Warner.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Over at the DC Comics boards. People are not convinced. Especially, since this Millar guy is having a beef with DC/Warner.

James T

Screenwriter
Not really a huge GL fan, but Adam Sandler as any superhero just doesn't fit.

If it's Hal Jordan, I like Nicolas Brendan(Xander on Buffy). He's not a big name star, so they have to cast the bignames around him(sort of like they did with the Punisher).

James T

Screenwriter
Not really a huge GL fan, but Adam Sandler as any superhero just doesn't fit.

If it's Hal Jordan, I like Nicolas Brendan(Xander on Buffy). He's not a big name star, so they have to cast the bignames around him(sort of like they did with the Punisher).

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Is that "Smigel" as in Robert Smigel? If so, the man is a genius...in comedy, that is. I really don't know how he'll handle mixing comedy with action.

Also:
I love that episode!

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Is that "Smigel" as in Robert Smigel? If so, the man is a genius...in comedy, that is. I really don't know how he'll handle mixing comedy with action.

Also:
I love that episode!

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Ambiguously Green Lantern...

"You think that's green? I don't know...looks kinda blue to me."

Cameron Yee

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Ambiguously Green Lantern...

"You think that's green? I don't know...looks kinda blue to me."

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll wait until Warner makes some kind of announcement before flying to Hollywood and tearing the studio down brick by brick.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
WQasn't kevin smith involved in the writing of the Green Lantern movie as well? I doubt he'd screw over his own work in the comic into a comed for the movie...

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian

You're getting your Greens confused.
Kevin Smith is (or was) writing the Green Hornet movie. And the comic books he wrote were Green Arrow, not Green Lantern.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Millar just posted the following on his forum, in response to the suggestion that this might be another prank:

Holy mother of CRAP

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, this movie wouldn't be for Green Lantern fans, it would be for Adam Sandler fans. Of course it would suck if you took it seriously, like some kind of thoughtful interpretation of a mythos you deeply care about. So yeah, the whole idea may offend 1% of 1% of the people (translate: 75% online...), but it still has a lot of comic potential.

I just hope that Adam Sandler isn't the straight man. When he is the primary source of the comedy (Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Waterboy) he can be hilarious. When he is the sympathetic guy and the supporting cast gets most of the gags (The Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, Mr. Deeds, Anger Management, 50 First Dates) the movies are not always so funny.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
If it wouldn't be made for Green Lantern fans, then why are they using the property? Why not create a new character if you intend to alter the source material so much? By altering the character so radically, you're effectively killing its brand recognition, so why not go all the way and create a new franchise, instead of ruining the future of an existing one?

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
Because (A) using an existing character is funnier, and (B) a new character wouldn't have the same built in name recognition.

I also don't think that this would ruin the future of Green Lantern any more than the 60's TV show killed Batman. In fact, I think it may have more potential to create interest in more serious Green Lantern material than a seemingly cookie cutter, flavor-of-the-moment comic book hero movie (see: Daredevil, Hulk, Punisher, Catwoman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.).

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco