Green hue on my WEGA XBR

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Richard_Brodsky, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Richard_Brodsky

I have an older 32" Sony WEGA XBR tube TV. All of a sudden we're noticing a much heavier greenish hue that we've never seen before. It's pretty dramatic, my 6 year old noticed it first and called me over (although I do have some reason to suspect that he may have done something and won't tell me - I checked the hue and color settings and they were all normal). The set is about 5 years old now. Is this just something that may happen with age? Not sure what to do as we can't really afford a new TV right now and my guess is that to have it repaired (if that's possible) will be cost prohibitive. Any ideas?

2. EricCM

EricCM Auditioning

Do you happen to have a cable box connected to the tv through component? A greenish hue can happen when you either have 2 of the connectors switched or 1 or more are loose. I believe it happens with the blue and green connectors. If you have this set up at least you could check that. Hopefully it is something as simple as that.

3. Richard_Brodsky

I wish it was that simple. Everything has been fine and all of a sudden there's a green tint to to everything. I haven't changed a thing.........

4. Mike Gillgannon

Mike Gillgannon Auditioning

Is the green present with all input sources or just one? You need to isolate the problem if possible.

5. Richard_Brodsky

I have my satellite signal hooked up through both component and S-Video and they look pretty much the same.........I haven't checked if the dvd is tinted green as well yet......

6. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Richard Ihave a Sony KDF-42WE610 or something similar to that and I'm not sure if same technology is applicable to both televisions but anyway I also had a Green Hue or what I learned later as a Green Ghost.

I noticed it in the corner of the TV and then it seemed to spread. It was quite annoying when there was a black screen you would see this Green Ghost glowing. Anyway after a long journey with my dealer and Sony it was diagosed as dust in the Engine that reflected up on the screen as the green ghost. It also could have been some dead pixels as well but turned out to be just dust somehow getting inside. A sony Technitican came into my home and basically blew it out.

I would talk to your dealer and check your warranty to see how long you have it for on the television. I'm not sure if that is the same issue you have but it may help.

Cheers

Travis