green glow from projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Andrew*B, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Andrew*B

Andrew*B Auditioning

My church has a panasonic projector (don't know the model #). There is a green glow that is in the middle of the screen. It is annoying when we are waching movies and there is a gree glow that consumes the screen. Wondered if there is a way I can fix this.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    That's a dead pixel. I'm pretty sure it's an expensive repair. It may not be worth repairing it, and replacing it. That's a problem with LCD projectors, although it's not very common anymore.

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Actually, if it's an LCD projector, it may be much worse than a stuck pixel. For one thing, they generally look like a stuck pixel, not "a glow."

What it may be is that the LCD optical block is dying - the polarizers start to fail, and the actual optical block that splits and recombines the three filtered monochrome images can start to delaminate.

The cause of this is the heat in a closed space killing the organic compounds in the polarizers. Same thing for the optical block - the heat can cause the glues to fail.

The cure for this is a major cost-option surgery, replacing the "heart" of the projector, only to have the same situation develop in time.

The fundamental cause of the problem is LCD projectors should not be used for large-venue / high brightness (>2k lumens) applications for long periods of time. We had some other-manufacturer 3k lumen projectors that the manufacturer accused us of "projector abuse" because we didn't give it four hours of down time after two hours of up-time.

DLP units do not appear to be prone to this sort of failure, and I've heard that LCoS units are not subject to this either, but have no practical experience with them.

Leo

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What leo said/green blob.