"Green For Danger" Coming In Region 2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnPM, Apr 11, 2006.

1. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

I just discovered a release date of April 17 for this title over at DVD Beaver, and pre-ordered at Amazon U.K. Maybe everyone knew about "Green For Danger" coming out, but I did not. This is one of my very favorite British Mysteries (make that favorite mystery period). Had this been announced previously? Anyway, here's hoping it turns out to be a nice quality DVD.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    This is the Network label DVD; it's also been out on DDHE label for a while - see here, and as part of a 'Best of British' box set - see here.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Great film. It was once announced by Criterion as a Laserdisc, with a Bruce Eder commentary, but it was never released, which was very unfortunate. One of the great films of the British 'studio system' Cinema era of the 40s/50s. Alistair Sim, as ever, is awesome.

4. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

I think it (the Criterion laserdisc) did come out...

I lost a bid on it on eBay years ago.

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

These Criterion Laserdiscs were never commercially released:

90 Caesar and Cleopatra
    104 Green for Danger
    110 Spirit of the Beehive
    176 'Truffaut Trio'
    179 A River Runs Through It
    181 A Few Good Men
    186 City of Hope
    193 The Bridge on the River Kwai
    194 Easy Rider
    197 Lady from Shanghai
    200 On the Waterfront
    201 The Elephant Man
    206 Macbeth (Polanski)
    217 The Firemen's Ball

Green for Danger may have had a few pressings that found their way into society, but I am pretty sure that it was never released.

6. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,

I'm really surprised to hear that the GREEN FOR DANGER LD was never released - believe it or not I ordered it when it came out from my usual UK supplier (then LaserDisc Enterprises, now Enterprises DVD) got it, watched it and enjoyed the Eder commentary as always but was so annoyed by the really weak image transfer (very milky) that I sent it back and got a refund.

If you're right about that disc I rather wish I hadn't.

The new release on Network DVD has a really great cover but is the same as the old Carlton transfer, which is to say that it hasn't been re-mastered - it suffers from flicker and quite a few scratches but is more or less on par with UK transmission quality - it's a great movie so well worth getting, but wouldn't it be great if Criterion made a new transfer, re-purposed the Eder commentary and then added some decent extras about Launder & Gilliatt and Alastair Sim!

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    That's useful to know about the Network edition; there's also another R2 from Warners, a double bill with School For Scoundrels - I wonder if they're all using the same Studio Canal sourced transfer?

It would be fabulous if Criterion released it again.

EDIT - well, I've just suggested it to them. You don't ask, you don't get...

8. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,

Green For Danger was absolutely, positively released. I owned it, and at the time it was relatively easy to find (well, as easy as your average Criterion laserdisc of the time) in brick and mortars. I still remember picking mine up at Tower Records.

Ebayed it a couple years ago, but archived the Eder commentary. It's a nice one. The print, as Sergio points out, was pretty yucky.

9. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

John,

Isn't the School For Scoundrels double bill with The Green Man, rather than Green For Danger?

10. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Okay, I believe you guys! Maybe it was pulled after release. Quite a few online Criterion 'experts' have stated that it was never released. Spirit of the Beehive certainly never came together, which was a crying shame. A DVD of the film from Criterion has been scuttle-butted, but no official word yet.

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John

D'oh! Brain fade [​IMG] ; (I must admit to momentarily wondering how the hell Warners had the R2 rights as well as Network and DD). I've stayed away from them all because of reports of less than stellar transfers, but I am in serious need of more Alastair Sim in my collection.